How to update Windows 10 Mobile without WiFi? RRS feed

• Question

• My most recent successful Insider Preview build (10.0.14926.1000) has resulted in my WiFi stopping (it won't switch on). There is a Windows Update available, but I cannot download it over a metered connection.

So it's a Catch-22 situation - I need the update to use WiFi but I need WiFi to get the update.

There MUST be a way around this? I have a Lumia 950XL, with high speed USB connection to my Windows 10 desktop machine. There has to be a provision to upload/install updates over cable, right?

Failing that, can Microsoft please explain why *they* get to decide whether I'm allowed to download the updated via cellular data? I have a big data allowance - more than I can ever use - I wouldn't mind forcing the update over a metered connection, even if I had to pay - that's simply not your decision to make, Microsoft!

I realise that getting Insider Preview puts me at risk of problems but this seems like such a simple one to resolve. I really want to avoid having to hard reset my phone and reinstall everything again. I have been loyal to the OS since the halcyon days of Windows Phone 6, please don't make me finally give up hope that you're going to get it right...

Saturday, October 1, 2016 12:36 PM

All replies

• the same wifi will not connect and stay stable to download any updates.

I cannot use my home wireless (really ?issed off), how can I update over USB on Windows 10 device and have my wifi capability restored. ASAP please.

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 2:38 AM