none
Printer deployment problem

    Question

  • Hi,

    Deploying printers using Group Policy from Windows Server 2008R2 to Windows 7 Pro 64-bit workstations.  Has been working pretty well for a couple years now but have run into a problem now with a new printer.  I installed a new printer on my printer server, created a new GPO and attached it to an OU that holds three computers.

    From the Print Management console I told the printer to deploy with Group Policy and selected my new policy.

    Went over to the computers and rebooted them, logged in as the Domain Administrator and wa-la I have a new printer.

    Turned them over to the users and they call me back saying the printer isn't there.  Sure enough, when I look in their Devices and Printers the new printer is not there.  Log back in as Domain Admin and the printer is there and I can print to it.

    Checked the scope of the GPO and the security filtering is set to Authenticated Users.  Checked the Event Log on the computers and it reports Group Policies were applied successfully.  Ran a GPUpdate /Force but that didn't help.

    What am I missing?  The printer is available to the AD Admin but not the users?  Feels like a rights issue but I can't find anything wrong with the rights.  Compared the GPO to other printer GPOs I have and they look the same.

    Any suggestions?

    P.S. Drivers are up to date on the server, both 32 and 64-bit, all computers are 64-bit.  I didn't use pushprinterconnections.exe on this GPO because my understanding is that it is only necessary for Windows XP desktops, I have no XP desktops to manage.  Event log under Application and Services Logs | Microsoft | Windows | Group Policy shows no errors.  I'm stumped so I must be missing something obvious. :)

    Thanks in advance,

    Linn

    Wednesday, May 13, 2015 4:42 PM

Answers

  • Hi Elaine,

    I did check the security rights and the Everyone group did have Print rights.  It did seem like a rights issue, after all, if I log into the computers as the AD Administrator I could use the printer, so the printer is being installed and the drivers all seemed fine.  It is just that the existing users couldn't see the printer.  It also worked if I log in as a standard user who had never logged into that computer before, with a fresh profile.

    I did re-use an old printer object on the server of the same model.  I simply renamed the object and changed the port address before attaching it to my GPO.

    Thinking that must be the issue I broke down and created a new printer object, published it in the GPO and removed the original printer.  What do you know, that worked!  Guess trying to save steps by using another object on the server was a bad idea.

    Thanks for the suggestions Elaine,

    Linn

    • Marked as answer by lkubler Friday, May 15, 2015 3:08 PM
    Friday, May 15, 2015 3:08 PM

All replies

  • Hi Linn,

    Please go to the printer properties and then check the security tab, if Everyone has the print permission?

    As well, you can check if you shared the printer and list it in AD.

    Hope it helps.

    Best Regards,

    Elaine


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    Friday, May 15, 2015 1:35 AM
    Moderator
  • Hi Elaine,

    I did check the security rights and the Everyone group did have Print rights.  It did seem like a rights issue, after all, if I log into the computers as the AD Administrator I could use the printer, so the printer is being installed and the drivers all seemed fine.  It is just that the existing users couldn't see the printer.  It also worked if I log in as a standard user who had never logged into that computer before, with a fresh profile.

    I did re-use an old printer object on the server of the same model.  I simply renamed the object and changed the port address before attaching it to my GPO.

    Thinking that must be the issue I broke down and created a new printer object, published it in the GPO and removed the original printer.  What do you know, that worked!  Guess trying to save steps by using another object on the server was a bad idea.

    Thanks for the suggestions Elaine,

    Linn

    • Marked as answer by lkubler Friday, May 15, 2015 3:08 PM
    Friday, May 15, 2015 3:08 PM