SCSM 2016 and change the Title of Incident RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Is there any way to change the title of Incident Template? For Example I want to change the name of "Classificaton category" or "Source"

Can I do that with SCSM Authoring?

BR,

Keywan

Monday, November 7, 2016 11:38 PM

Answers

• Hi

You have to create a new Management pack rather than edit an existing one. Look at the guides above as they provide examples of extending and editing the change form. 

The process is the essentially the same for Incident. 

The basic steps are:

1. Open the Authoring tool and create a new Management pack

2. Load the Incident Form from the Forms browser and then customize

3. Edit the labels required

4. Seal the management - this will need a key to do so.

5. Import the new management pack into Service Manager

Glen

Web: www.xapity.com  |   Twitter: @xapityapps  |   Facebook: xapityapps

• Marked as answer by mpng2008 Wednesday, November 9, 2016 1:11 PM
    Wednesday, November 9, 2016 11:33 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Is there anyway to change the display name of for example "Classification category" or "Source"?

Can I do that with MPs?

Regards

• Merged by Yan Li_ Wednesday, November 9, 2016 8:09 AM duplicate
    Tuesday, November 8, 2016 10:52 PM
  • Hi

Yes this is possible. You need to install the SCSM Authoring Tool and then you can edit/customize the incident form to change the labels as required.

Usually people want to add new fields to the form to capture custom data so they extend or inherit from the work item class (in this case Incident). There are a lot of blog posts on the internet about this. 

But basically you are correct, from the authoring tool you create an MP that has the changes to the form and then import this as a sealed MP into Service Manager. The Incident form will then be "updated" to show the changes you made.

The Authoring Tool is a bit daunting when you first start out and we wrote some Guides and did some videos to help people get started with customizing SCSM.

The following guides are posted on Technet Gallery:

And the following videos are available from: www.xapity.com/videos/

• Extending Work Items - Part 1 - Class Extension
    • Extending Work Items - Part 2 - Form Extension 
    • Extending Work Items - Part 3 - Hide Extension Tab
    • Extending Work Items - Part 4 - Grid Panels
    • Extending Work Items - Part 5 - Tabs and VIP Example

Regards

Glen

Wednesday, November 9, 2016 1:56 AM
  • Hello,

You should make customizations to the default form in with Service Manager Authoring Tool. You can customize the form in the Authoring Tool and then save the customized form in a new management pack. Then, in the Service Manager console, you can import this new management pack. Afterwards, whenever you create or view an incident, Service Manager displays the customized form.

Regards,

Yan Li

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 9, 2016 8:03 AM
  • Hello,

Which Management Pack should I select for "Incident Request"? Is it the "Incident"

BR

Keywan

• Edited by mpng2008 Wednesday, November 9, 2016 11:30 AM
    Wednesday, November 9, 2016 11:23 AM
  • Hi

You have to create a new Management pack rather than edit an existing one. Look at the guides above as they provide examples of extending and editing the change form. 

The process is the essentially the same for Incident. 

The basic steps are:

1. Open the Authoring tool and create a new Management pack

2. Load the Incident Form from the Forms browser and then customize

3. Edit the labels required

4. Seal the management - this will need a key to do so.

5. Import the new management pack into Service Manager

Glen

• Marked as answer by mpng2008 Wednesday, November 9, 2016 1:11 PM
    Wednesday, November 9, 2016 11:33 AM
  • Hi Glen,

Thanks for help.

BR,

Keywan

Wednesday, November 9, 2016 1:11 PM
  • Hi Glen,

I did follow your guide and I could create some Class and Forms. If i try to go to Form browser and select MP   "Microsoft.EnterpriseManagemnt.ServiceManager.Change.Managment.Forms.ChangeRequest" and select  "View" it open a windows and will have two dlls files.

I don`t have these. Where can I find? If i click on "Cancel", it is going on.

Any Idea?

BR,

Keywan

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 2:55 PM
  • Hi

Are you running the Authoring Tool on Windows 2012? If yes, then I think you can ignore these (by using cancel as you are already) and continue creating and editing the new management pack. 

Or try installing the Authoring Tool on Windows 7 or 8.1 and creating editing the management pack as these OS's do not have the the issue.

Glen

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 8:03 PM
  • Hi Glen,

I am using Windows Server 2016(it is the same like Windows 2012 R2). Is that the reason? I think so. Thanks for help.

have a nice evening.

Keywan

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 8:09 PM
  • Hi

I have not tried on Server 2016 with the SCSM 2012 Authoring tool so am not sure, but would think so. It would explain why the it is coming up as Aero2 rather than Aerolite on Windows 2012.

Regards

Glen

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 8:20 PM
  • Hi Glen,

I am following all videos and create for testing some more fields like the videos. It work fine but now I want to undo( chancel, delete) all new fields. I have trieyed but it does not work.

How should I do that? I have trieyed with the Authoring no luck.

Could you please tell me HOW?

Thanks again for help.

BR,

Keywan

Thursday, November 17, 2016 4:10 PM
  • Hi

I would just delete the management pack you imported. This will remove all the new fields from Service Manager and any form changes. You will lose any data addded to the the new properties.

When you are working in the Authoring Tool on the form design, you can reset the form by right clicking on it in Management Pack Explorer and choose Undo all Customization. This will still leave any new properties added to the class - you can delete them.

Glen

Thursday, November 17, 2016 7:58 PM
  • Hi Glen,

Thanks again for help. It was my first action to delete the imported MPs, but it says I should to delete the dependence MPs. I cannot delete the depenedence MPs.

I have tired the second option too with Authoring, it does not help me.

What is the best praxis if I want to change or add any Class or form? As I did follow the videos and change the Class and form, I saw that the default change Request Template was changed too. Is there any way to change the class or form without changing the default change Request Template?

If I want to change or add any field in Form, I dont need to change or add any Class? Am I right?

In the Point 2.Load the Incident Form from the Forms browser and then customize

I did search in the Form browser "Incident". Is this "System.WorkItem.Incident.ConsoleForm" the right Form to change for example "Classification catergory"?

Have a nice evening

BR,

Keywan

• Edited by mpng2008 Friday, November 18, 2016 7:48 AM
    Thursday, November 17, 2016 9:06 PM
  • Hi,

There are a different ways to organize your management packs and it will depend on what you prefer.

To edit the class (add properties etc) or change the layout of the form you will need a Sealed Management pack from the Authoring tool. This can be done as one management pack (a lot easier to mange) or as two management packs.

The advantage of two sealed management packs is that form changes will not cause every work item to change it's last modified date which can upset analysts.

To add a new field (property) you have to add to the class. To add an existing field or change a label you only need to change the form.

The Default Request Template is based on the Class and form - it will will show all changes. This is a result of extending the existing form. To have a new form you have to created a new Inherited Class and Form. This will leave the Default form unchanged and give you a new Form. The videos do not show cover this option. The documentation discusses it briefly.

Yes, System.WorkItem.Incident.ConsoleForm is the correct form for incident. 

Just to add a bit about the deleting the Management Pack - when you create a list and then add values to it, you will be prompted for a unsealed Management Pack to store the values in. The same applies if you create templates based on the Extended Management Pack. It is best practice to create new Management Packs to store this data rather than use the default ones. 

Glen

• Edited by Glen.Xapity Friday, November 18, 2016 10:04 PM
    Friday, November 18, 2016 8:30 PM