ccmeval error - WMI Repository Read/Write Test RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a SCCM 2012 client (Windows 7) which no longer works. When executing ccmeval, I have the following error:

Evaluating health check rule {14E6774A-1795-4E09-B17D-B6F36A124205} : WMI Repository Read/Write Test. CcmEval 14/10/2012 09:45:40 8060 (0x1F7C)
    Failed to delete class 'CIM_ClassDeletion' (80041002) CcmEval 14/10/2012 09:45:40 8060 (0x1F7C)
    Failed to delete class 'CIM_ClassCreation' (80041002) CcmEval 14/10/2012 09:45:40 8060 (0x1F7C)
    Failed to delete class 'CIM_ClassModification' (80041002) CcmEval 14/10/2012 09:45:40 8060 (0x1F7C)
    Failed to delete class 'CIM_ClassIndication' (80041002) CcmEval 14/10/2012 09:45:40 8060 (0x1F7C)
    Failed to delete class 'CIM_InstCreation' (80041002) CcmEval 14/10/2012 09:45:40 8060 (0x1F7C)
    Failed to delete class 'CIM_InstModification' (80041002) CcmEval 14/10/2012 09:45:40 8060 (0x1F7C)
    Failed to delete class 'CIM_InstDeletion' (80041002) CcmEval 14/10/2012 09:45:40 8060 (0x1F7C)
    Failed to delete class 'CIM_InstIndication' (80041002) CcmEval 14/10/2012 09:45:40 8060 (0x1F7C)
    Failed to delete class 'CIM_Indication' (80041002) CcmEval 14/10/2012 09:45:40 8060 (0x1F7C)
    Failed to delete class 'MSFT_ExtendedStatus' (80041002) CcmEval 14/10/2012 09:45:40 8060 (0x1F7C)
    Failed to delete class 'MSFT_WmiError' (80041002) CcmEval 14/10/2012 09:45:40 8060 (0x1F7C)
    Failed to delete class 'CIM_Error' (80041002) CcmEval 14/10/2012 09:45:40 8060 (0x1F7C)
    Fail to delete namespace (root\cimv2\ccm2) (0x80041002) CcmEval 14/10/2012 09:45:40 8060 (0x1F7C)

ccmeval attemps an auto-remediation without success. I also fully uninstalled / reinstalled the client. It did not solve the issue.

Any suggestion ?

Regards.

Sunday, October 14, 2012 10:17 AM

Answers

• Sylvain,  has your organizaiton deployed Windows Management Framework 3.0?  I had upgraded a good number of PCs to PowerShell 3.0 which included WMF 3.0.  There is a bug in SCCM 2012 that will be addressed in SP1.  I uninstalled WMF (On Windows 7 SP1 x64 KB2506143) from the workstation, uninstalled and reinstalled the SCCM client.  The WMI errors no longer appear in the CCMEval.log. 

JustinS

Thursday, November 1, 2012 7:28 PM

All replies

• WMI repository issues can be a major concern for client health altough it's not as common in Windows 7. Take a look at this post (http://blogs.technet.com/b/configmgrteam/archive/2009/05/08/wmi-troubleshooting-tips.aspx & http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2009/04/13/wmi-rebuilding-the-wmi-repository.aspx) that talks about a non-destructive ways to attempt to repair the WMI repository. If successful it will allow the client to re-install.

In my expierence, i've had some cases where the above fix's hasn't worked. In these cases i've remove the WMI repository then it will automatically rebuilt itself. This method is * NOT * recommended by Microsoft, but it has almost always worked for me. Take a look at this article about backing up the repository (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc780894(v=ws.10).aspx) you definately want to back it up incase you need to revert back.

Justin Chalfant | Blog: setupconfigmgr.com | SCUP Catalog: patchmypc.net/scup | Please mark as helpful/answer if this resovled your issue

Sunday, October 14, 2012 1:15 PM
  • Hello Justin,

I tried both suggestions:

1. non-destructive way

2. then full rebuild

It still does not work, and still complain about same error.

Regards.

Sylvain

Monday, October 15, 2012 2:53 PM
  • I am experiencing the same issue.  Was CU1 applied to your systems? 

I have deleted the client (removed all residual reg keys, files), rebuilt the WMI repository, recompiled all MOFs, all to no avail.  Further, using WBEMTEST to delete these classes manually results in an error 0x0041002 WMI Not Found.

I have been working with Microsoft to find a fix to this for over a week now.  When we arrive at a resolution, I will let you know the steps taken.

JustinS

• Edited by Jsimoni Tuesday, October 30, 2012 2:10 PM
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 1:33 PM
  • Hello Justin,

No I have not applied CU1 yet. I plan to do it this week.

Having a look to what you have tried so far, I can say I tried almost the same on my side. So I am definitely interested by your feedback when you get an answer from Microsoft.

Regards.

Sylvain

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 5:03 PM
  • Sylvain,

The Microsoft tech seems to think our issue is caused by CU1. Our hierarchy is comprised of one stand-alone primary (CU1) and one secondary site (RTM).  Although neither he nor I know what is exactly causing this issue on clients reporting directly to the primary site server, clients at the secondary site are not exhibiting this behavior.  However, knowing that your site systems are not at CU1 sheds a light of doubt regarding CU1 as the culprit.

He has escalated this issue to a subject matter expert for review.  Meanwhile, I will also continue to work on this issue.  I will update this forum when I hear back from Microsoft or figured something out that is helpful. 

JustinS

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 8:16 PM
  • Sylvain,  has your organizaiton deployed Windows Management Framework 3.0?  I had upgraded a good number of PCs to PowerShell 3.0 which included WMF 3.0.  There is a bug in SCCM 2012 that will be addressed in SP1.  I uninstalled WMF (On Windows 7 SP1 x64 KB2506143) from the workstation, uninstalled and reinstalled the SCCM client.  The WMI errors no longer appear in the CCMEval.log. 

JustinS

Thursday, November 1, 2012 7:28 PM
  • Hello Justin,

That's very interesting... In my specific case, I got this problem only on a couple of Win 7 PC and those are the ones where I have installed Powershell 3.0 + WMF 3.0.

It might definitely be the root cause of my root cause. I will test it by next week when I will be back at office. Thanks a lot for your feedback.

Regards.

Sylvain

Thursday, November 1, 2012 8:07 PM
  • I have this issue on a Windows 8 PC....
    Thursday, November 1, 2012 9:10 PM
  • Hi datadijk, Windows 8 is not supported by SCCM 2012 at this time.  Once SP1 is out, both Windows Server 2012 and Windows 8 will be fully supported. 

JustinS

Thursday, November 1, 2012 9:46 PM
  • I have the exact same scenario. We have servers in Production that require PowerShell 3.0 but always show as unhealthy in SCCM 2012 CU1. "Wait for SCCM 2012 SP1" is not an acceptable solution.
    Sunday, November 18, 2012 4:07 AM
  • "Wait for SCCM 2012 SP1" is not an acceptable solution.
    Then you should call Microsoft support (CSS).

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Monday, November 19, 2012 8:28 AM
  • I have been working with CSS for the last few weeks and they have no solutions at this time other than uninstall KB2506143.

In order to get the SCCM client in a working state, one must 1, uninstall KB2506143, 2, Remove the SCCM client, 3, stop WMI, 4, Reset WMI repository, 5, reboot the workstation and lastely 6, reinstall the SCCM Client.

Because I have a good number of machines that I have to repair, I have create a batch script to remove automate as much as possible the above mentioned steps.  I tried using a task sequence but alas, the TSMANGER depends on the WMI service, which must be stopped.  One will need sleep.exe from the win2k3 resource kit and the pstools suite.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@echo off

Echo Remotely uninstalls KB2506143, uninstalls SCCM, and reset the windows repository.

REM    
    REM  
    REM ***************************************
    REM *    Modification Log
    REM *        Created by: Justin Simoni
    REM *        Creation Dt: 10/15/2007
    REM *
    REM *
    REM *        Modified by: 
    REM *        Modification Dt:  
    REM *        Modification: 

Set BatchDir=C:\DPA-Batch
    Set PSTOOLSDIR=C:\Pstools
    Set PCNAME=%1
    Set SCCMInstpath="C:\Windows\CCMSetup"
    Set CERT=%2
    Set WBEMPath="C:\Windows\system32\wbem\repository"
    REM Set cmdreg="FOR /f %s in ('dir /b /s *.dll') do regsvr32 /s %s"
    REM Set cmdMof="FOR /f %s in ('dir /b *.mof *.mfl') do mofcomp %s"
    Set RESET="winmgmt /resetrepository"

if "%PCNAME%"=="" goto err1
    if "%PCNAME%"=="\?" goto usage
    ping -n 1 %PCNAME%
    if errorlevel 1 goto NotActive

%PSTOOLSDIR%\psexec \\%PCNAME% cmd /c WUSA.exe /Uninstall /KB:2506143 /quiet /norestart
    sleep 3
    %PSTOOLSDIR%\psexec \\%PCNAME% cmd /c %SCCMINSTPATH%\ccmsetup /uninstall
    sleep 2
    %PSTOOLSDIR%\psexec \\%PCNAME% cmd /c Net Stop /y WINMGMT
    sleep 5
    %PSTOOLSDIR%\psexec -w c:\windows\system32\WBEM \\%PCNAME% cmd /c %RESET%
    sleep 8
    %PSTOOLSDIR%\psshutdown -r \\%PCNAME%

goto end
    :err1
    echo Error - PC Name is missing
    goto usage

:err2
    echo Error - Lookup file name is missing
    goto usage

:NotActive
    echo Ping switch used and the machine %PCNAME% could not be pinged
    goto end

:usage
    echo Usage: CHR-RemoveKB.bat PCNAME
    echo.
    echo Where: PCNAME   is the name of the remote machine you want to target
    echo.
    echo Example:  CHR-RemoveKB.bat ComputerName
    :end

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you wish to export a list of machines and "feed" this list to this batch script, the following will be useful:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

rem @echo off

Echo Run RemoveKB on a file of clients.

REM     This batch file attempts to run CCRaClient for a whole list of clients
    REM     the SMS Client, onto a site server.
    REM     If all goes well, the client will be installed

REM *    Modification Log
    REM *        Created by: Justin Simoni
    REM *        Creation Dt: 11/7/2012
    REM *
    REM *
    REM *        Modified by: 
    REM *        Modification Dt:  
    REM *        Modification: 

Set BatchDir=DPA-Batch
    Set SMSDir=d:\sms\bin\i386
    Set fileofClients=%1

if "%fileofclients%"=="" goto err1
    if "%fileofclients%"=="/?" goto usage
    if not exist %fileofClients% goto err2
    :Continue

for /f "eol=; tokens=1,2,3* delims=, " %%i in (%fileofClients%) do C:\dpa-batch\CHR-RemoveKB.bat %%i %%j %%k

goto end

:err1
    echo Error - a paramenter for file of clients is missing
    echo.
    goto usage
    :err2
    echo Error - cannot find the file of clients :"%fileofclients%"
    echo.
    goto usage

:usage
    echo.
    echo Usage: CCRfileofClients.bat [file of clients]
    echo.
    echo Where: File of Clients is a file of client machine names,
    echo                           domain names and site servers.
    echo.
    echo Example:  CHR-RemoveKBFileofClients noclients.txt
    echo.
    :end

JustinS

Monday, November 19, 2012 2:50 PM

JustinS

I was tempted not to mark this as the answer since it is a workaround with restrictive consequences, however the fix is in SP1 and you've rightly pointed this out. Thanks for letting us know about your CSS progress. I think putting up with a few unhealthy clients until SP1 arrives is as far as you'll get unless you've got a very serious business case for having those systems on the "health radar" before then.
    Monday, November 19, 2012 10:07 PM
  • Hello,

As I initially created this thread, I marked "remove PowerShell 3.0" as an answer, because it solves my specific problem. In my organization, we have not started to deploy PowerShell 3.0 yet. So I just had to roll-back the installation out of my standard clients, and it is an acceptable solution for me.

This being said, I can understand it might not be seen as a valid answer for other people / context.

Regards.

Sylvain

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 7:14 AM
  • I have 20+ machines out of 300+ clients exhibiting this CCM client problem and reporting 'Fail to delete namespace "root\cimv2\ccm2"' in the client remediation reports.  My question is, do the machines that have this remediation issue also exhibit other issues with CCM client such a failed client/MP communication or failed policy refreshes?  I've seen some strange things on some of these clients and am trying to determine the root problem.  And if it is worth going thru some of the steps listed in this post to correct the remediation on all machines, or just wait until SP1 is released.  Thoughts?

Thanks

Richie Tenhet

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 11:18 PM
  • See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2796086. It's usually not needed to rebuild WMI.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 7:49 AM
  • Hi

I have a customer with 450+ clients with this issue now.
    The http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2796086 does only solve a part of the problem.
    - The Endpoint protection status all these 450+ clients reporting WMI error in th status report "Active clients at risk"
    - It's not possible to deploy applications with the packages model because the program will not be executed on the clients because the clients have WMI problem.
    - It's not possible to deploy applications with the application model with state based rules for check for a file as example due to the WMI problem.
    - MSI installation with the app model to users works however.

If I repair one client by
    1. uninstalling WMF 3.0
    2. reboot
    3. run c:\windows\ccm\ccmeval.exe (without the reg fix that disabled this feature)
    Then will the agent start to work again..

suggestions how to do this more easy manner without reboot is most appreciated.

Friday, December 21, 2012 2:39 PM