none
DPM 2012 R2 cannot backup VM online RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

I'm having a problem trying to backup a VM with DPM, as it shows "offline" backup only (not online).

Our environment:
    DPM 2012 R2 server with UR5, running on Windows 2012 R2. This server backs up all Virtual Machines running on a Windows 2012 R2 Hyper-V cluster. All the VMs are running Windows 2008 R2, with the latest Hyper-V Integration Tool (v6.3.9600.16384).
    Only a few VMs on that cluster cannot be backed up "online".

I already checked the following:
     - The backup (volume snapshot) integration service is installed and enabled in the VM configuration
     - The VM does not have any dynamic disks
     - All Disks on the VM are NTFS
     - The VM Cluster resource is online
     - The VM is running
     - The Shadow storage assignment inside the VM for all volumes are set on the respective volume (not different)
     - The VM has a SCSI controller
     - Although meant for another version of DPM and OS, I tried to add the following registry key:
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore - REG_DWORD ScopeSnapshots 0x0
    (solution found here: https://mvanvliet.wordpress.com/2013/04/10/issue-windows-server-2012-virtual-machines-can-only-be-backed-up-using-saved-state/)
     - Also tried to remove all VHDX from the VM configuration, save the config and re-add the VHDX
    (solution found here: http://blog.metasplo.it/2014/02/dpm-2012-r2-only-allows-offline-backups.html)
     - All the disks within the VM have plenty of free space (more than 30% on each volumes)
     - Try to move the VM around on different hosts on the Hyper-V cluster

I've run out of troubleshooting steps...

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Stephane

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 8:04 AM

Answers

• Hi,

With Windows Server 2012 R2 Hyper-V cluster being protected by DPM 2012 R2 + UR3 or later, you can no longer rely on the hyper-v writer caption that shows online or offline backup will be used.  In many cases, the caption will say offline, but when you actually perform the DPM backup, the VM stays in a running (online) state and will successfully backup online.

So – have you confirmed that the VM actually goes into a saved state when doing a DPM backup ?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by _Stephane_MVP Thursday, April 9, 2015 1:48 AM
    Wednesday, April 8, 2015 7:03 PM

All replies

• Hello Stephane.

It seems that we have the same Problem.

Since we have installed the UR5 we have some VM’s that
    can no more backed up Online. Last Sunday we had a crash on a host. After we
    have investigated the issue we think it have to do with the Backup and the UR5.
    We have found some errors where the host have lost the iscsi Target when the
    Backup have begun.

We have 2 Infrastructures with the same configuration HP
    Store Virtual and the Hardware VSS Provider. We can see that on the Storage no
    Snapshots are created.

We try now to add (Workaround) a little Disk to this
    Vm’s that is configured as DynamicDisk. So we hope to make an Offline backup.

I think we have to open a case.

Andreas

• Edited by Andy - SCS Wednesday, April 8, 2015 12:57 PM
    Wednesday, April 8, 2015 12:29 PM
  • Hi,

With Windows Server 2012 R2 Hyper-V cluster being protected by DPM 2012 R2 + UR3 or later, you can no longer rely on the hyper-v writer caption that shows online or offline backup will be used.  In many cases, the caption will say offline, but when you actually perform the DPM backup, the VM stays in a running (online) state and will successfully backup online.

So – have you confirmed that the VM actually goes into a saved state when doing a DPM backup ?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by _Stephane_MVP Thursday, April 9, 2015 1:48 AM
    Wednesday, April 8, 2015 7:03 PM
  • Hi Mike,

I haven't actually tried to back it up as I assumed it would be offline as stated.

I'll try it out today and will let you know.

Thank you,
    Stephane

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 11:40 PM
  • Hi Mike,

You were right indeed. Even though it shows the VM to be backed up offline, at the time of backup, the VM is not going into save mode and remains running.

Is this a known bug that is being worked on?

Thank you,

Stephane

Thursday, April 9, 2015 1:48 AM
  • Hi,

The Windows Hyper-V writer has not kept up with additional enhancements in other windows components and DPM changes that basically do away with offline backups under most circumstances.  Unfortunately, DPM relies on the hyper-V writer to tell us if online or offline backups will be taken and that is what you see in the GUI. The best you can do is take a backup at off peak hours and see what state it's backed up in before scheduling regular backups.   

Thursday, April 9, 2015 1:55 PM
  • Hi,

The following Windows BLOG helps explains why offline does not really mean "saved state" like before.

Hyper-V Backup doesn’t interrupt running virtual machines (anymore)

I agree there is room for improvement for definitions when it comes to the difference between "Online" and "Offline" states.  Windows forum can better handle any questions around that subject.

Monday, April 13, 2015 11:18 PM