Exchange Server 2010 Pre-requisite problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys...a lot of the people are having similar problems as I am but their problem seems to have solved but not mine.. not sure what I am doing wrong..

I am trying to install evaluation version of Exchange Server 2010 on Windows Server 2008 R2. Now, the  NetTcpPortSharing is set to Automatic, IIS is installed successfully and running as well as MS Filter Pack. 

When I try to paste the command in Administrator mode of Powershell It doesn't work.. 

1) Import-Module ServerManager     <-- WORKS

2) Add-WindowsFeature NET-Framework,RSAT-ADDS,Web-Server,Web-Basic-Auth,Web-Windows-Auth,Web-Metabase,Web-Net-Ext,Web-Lgcy-Mgmt-Console,WAS-Process-Model,RSAT-Web-Server,Web-ISAPI-Ext,Web-Digest-Auth,Web-Dyn-Compression,NET-HTTP-Activation,RPC-Over-HTTP-Proxy -Restart <---- DOES NOT WORK.

What can I do to solve this problem?

• Edited by KG1990 Friday, December 16, 2011 3:01 AM
    Friday, December 16, 2011 2:59 AM

Answers

• I dont think Windows 2008 R2 HPC is supported for Exchange 2010, hence the error with installing the pre-requisites. See the requirements below;

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996719.aspx

• Proposed as answer by Fiona_Liao Thursday, December 22, 2011 11:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by Fiona_Liao Thursday, December 29, 2011 10:00 AM
    Saturday, December 17, 2011 11:41 PM
  • Hi Kevin,

I would suggest you install those components, including NET-Framework, Web-Server,RPC-Over-HTTP-Proxy, etc, from GUID. To do this, click Server Manager/Roles/Add Roles. See te picture below:

Hope it is helpful. If the issue continues, please check the Application event log, and feel free to pose the question in server forum http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsserver/. Your understanding would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Fiona Liao

TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Fiona_Liao Thursday, December 22, 2011 11:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by Fiona_Liao Tuesday, December 27, 2011 9:15 AM
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 11:34 AM

All replies

• Any error messages displayed on screen or the event logs?
    Friday, December 16, 2011 4:03 AM
  • Did you open powershell as administrator? try with that
    Friday, December 16, 2011 4:15 AM
  • I get an error in red saying Add-WindowFeature is not recognized with the rest of the of the command.

Success: false

etcc

• Edited by KG1990 Friday, December 16, 2011 4:19 AM
    Friday, December 16, 2011 4:18 AM
  • I did in Administrator mode 
    Friday, December 16, 2011 4:18 AM
  • Are you right clicking powershell and selecting "run as administrator" ?

Try this, run "Get-ExecutionPolicy" and note the value. Then first run "Set-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted". Then run Import-Module ServerManager" and finally the Add-WindowsFeature. Once you are done set the execution policy back to what you had noted by the set-executionpolicy cmdlet

Friday, December 16, 2011 4:42 AM
  • Also does this work "Add-WindowsFeature NET-Framework" after the Import-Module ServerManager ?
    Friday, December 16, 2011 4:45 AM
  • Did exactly what you said but didn't work. I ran

1) Get-ExecutionPolicy and noted down the value. Set-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted <-Worked.

2) Ran the Import-Module ServerManager command <-Worked

3) Ran the Add-WindowsFeature NET-Framework <-Worked

4) Ran the final Add-WindowsFeature Command <-- DID NOT WORK :(

Please check the image, see if that helps.

Friday, December 16, 2011 6:47 AM
  • I must also mention that I am installing Exchange Server 2010 brand new on a new Windows Server 2008 R2.. So, maybe something I may not have installed etc..?

Though, I have got Active Directory, DNS Server, Web Server (IIS) and Hyper V Roles so far. Not sure, if this helps?

• Edited by KG1990 Friday, December 16, 2011 6:54 AM
    Friday, December 16, 2011 6:54 AM
  • What role/s are you trying to install, MBX, HT, CAS, UM,Edge Transport?
    Friday, December 16, 2011 3:28 PM
  • Client Access, Hub Transport, and the Mailbox role
    Friday, December 16, 2011 3:36 PM
  • Try this;

Add-WindowsFeature NET-Framework,RSAT-ADDS,Web-Server,Web-Basic-Auth,Web-Windows-Auth,Web-Metabase,Web-Net-Ext,Web-Lgcy-Mgmt-Console,WAS-Process-Model,RSAT-Web-Server,Web-ISAPI-Ext,Web-Digest-Auth,Web-Dyn-Compression,NET-HTTP-Activation,Web-Asp-Net,Web-Client-Auth,Web-Dir-Browsing,Web-Http-Errors,Web-Http-Logging,Web-Http-Redirect,Web-Http-Tracing,Web-ISAPI-Filter,Web-Request-Monitor,Web-Static-Content,Web-WMI,RPC-Over-HTTP-Proxy -Restart

This below is what you have in your original post, not sure if the lines got cut off or something

Add-WindowsFeature NET-Framework,RSAT-ADDS,Web-Server,Web-Basic-Auth,Web-Windows-Auth,Web-Metabase,Web-Net-Ext,Web-Lgcy-Mgmt-Console,WAS-Process-Model,RSAT-Web-Server,Web-ISAPI-Ext,Web-Digest-Auth,Web-Dyn-Compression,NET-HTTP-Activation,RPC-Over-HTTP-Proxy -Restart 

Friday, December 16, 2011 3:43 PM
  • Same problem...with

Add-WindowsFeature NET-Framework,RSAT-ADDS,Web-Server,Web-Basic-Auth,Web-Windows-Auth,Web-Metabase,Web-Net-Ext,Web-Lgcy-Mgmt-Console,WAS-Process-Model,RSAT-Web-Server,Web-ISAPI-Ext,Web-Digest-Auth,Web-Dyn-Compression,NET-HTTP-Activation,Web-Asp-Net,Web-Client-Auth,Web-Dir-Browsing,Web-Http-Errors,Web-Http-Logging,Web-Http-Redirect,Web-Http-Tracing,Web-ISAPI-Filter,Web-Request-Monitor,Web-Static-Content,Web-WMI,RPC-Over-HTTP-Proxy -Restart

• Edited by KG1990 Saturday, December 17, 2011 12:40 AM
    Saturday, December 17, 2011 12:40 AM
  • This is the error I get:

Add-WindowsFeature : ArgumentNotValid: Invalid role, role service, or feature: 'RPC-Over-HTTP-Proxy'. The name wa
    found.
    At line:1 char:19
    + Add-WindowsFeature <<<<  NET-Framework,RSAT-ADDS,Web-Server,Web-Basic-Auth,Web-Windows-Auth,Web-Metabase,Web-Ne
    Web-Lgcy-Mgmt-Console,WAS-Process-Model,RSAT-Web-Server,Web-ISAPI-Ext,Web-Digest-Auth,Web-Dyn-Compression,NET-HTT
    vation,Web-Asp-Net,Web-Client-Auth,Web-Dir-Browsing,Web-Http-Errors,Web-Http-Logging,Web-Http-Redirect,Web-Http-T
    ,Web-ISAPI-Filter,Web-Request-Monitor,Web-Static-Content,Web-WMI,RPC-Over-HTTP-Proxy -Restart
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidData: (:) [Add-WindowsFeature], Exception
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NameDoesNotExist,Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.Commands.AddWindowsFeatureCommand

Saturday, December 17, 2011 1:47 AM
  • Is the server running windows Core?
    Saturday, December 17, 2011 4:14 AM
  • Also install .Net Framework 3.5.1
    Saturday, December 17, 2011 4:21 AM
  • Saturday, December 17, 2011 6:04 AM
  • .NET Framework is installed already.

What do you mean by Windows Core.. Do you mean the following needs to be installed..

• Active Directory Certificate Services

• Active Directory Domain Services

• Active Directory Lightweight Directory Services (AD LDS)

• DHCP Server

• DNS Server

• File Services (including File Server Resource Manager)

• Hyper-V

• Print and Document Services

• Streaming Media Services

• Web Server (including a subset of ASP.NET)
Saturday, December 17, 2011 6:04 AM
  • Please refer this below article and follow.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb691354.aspx

Thanks Chandru CT. MCITP
    • Proposed as answer by Chandru CT Thursday, December 29, 2011 10:45 AM
    Saturday, December 17, 2011 7:58 AM
  • Not sure if this helps but while trying to install Exchange Server 2010 at the end I get the following errors under "Exchange Server 2010 Setup - Readiness Checks":

Summary: 6 item(s). 3 succeeded, 3 failed.
    Elapsed time: 00:00:42

Configuring Prerequisites
    Completed

Elapsed Time: 00:00:03

Organization Prerequisites
    Completed

Warning:
    Setup is going to prepare the organization for Exchange 2010 by using 'Setup /PrepareAD'. No Exchange 2007 server roles have been detected in this topology. After this operation, you will not be able to install any Exchange 2003 or Exchange 2007 servers.

Elapsed Time: 00:00:11

Languages Prerequisites
    Completed

Elapsed Time: 00:00:02

Hub Transport Role Prerequisites
    Failed

Error:
    There was a problem accessing the registry on this computer. This may happen if the Remote Registry service is not running. It may also indicate a network problem or that the TCP/IP Netbios Helper service is not running.
    Click here for help... http://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/library/ms.exch.err.default(EXCHG.141).aspx?v=14.2.247.1&e=ms.exch.err.Ex28883C&l=0&cl=cp

Warning:
    Setup cannot verify that the 'Host' (A) record for this computer exists within the DNS database on server 211.31.138.11.

Warning:
    Installing Exchange Server on a domain controller will elevate the privileges for Exchange Trusted Subsystem to domain administrators.

Elapsed Time: 00:00:14

Client Access Role Prerequisites
    Failed

Error:
    The 'IIS 7 Dynamic Content Compression' component is required. Install the component via Server Manager.
    Click here for help... http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=30939&l=en&v=ExBPA.14&id=41a25c5e-0d39-4e55-a1f0-7be885982236

Error:
    There was a problem accessing the registry on this computer. This may happen if the Remote Registry service is not running. It may also indicate a network problem or that the TCP/IP Netbios Helper service is not running.
    Click here for help... http://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/library/ms.exch.err.default(EXCHG.141).aspx?v=14.2.247.1&e=ms.exch.err.Ex28883C&l=0&cl=cp

Warning:
    Setup cannot verify that the 'Host' (A) record for this computer exists within the DNS database on server 211.31.138.11.

Warning:
    Installing Exchange Server on a domain controller will elevate the privileges for Exchange Trusted Subsystem to domain administrators.

Elapsed Time: 00:00:05

Mailbox Role Prerequisites
    Failed

Error:

Warning:

Warning:

Elapsed Time: 00:00:05

• Edited by KG1990 Saturday, December 17, 2011 4:45 PM
    Saturday, December 17, 2011 4:36 PM
  • Under "Hub Transport Role Prerequisites" I re-checked and it does have both Remote Registry and TCP/IP Netbios Helper service set to "Automatic".

It could be because the command was not successfully run in the PowerShell. 

Saturday, December 17, 2011 4:39 PM
  • what edition of Windows 2008 R2 are you running (web,standard, ent, datacenter)?
    Saturday, December 17, 2011 5:07 PM
  • Windows Server 2008 R2 HPC Edition with SP1
    Saturday, December 17, 2011 10:14 PM
  • Ok there is a new thing I have noticed..

1) The command for Hub Transport and Mailbox works just fine in the powershell then for Client Access or all 3 together like I have been trying so far.

2) If I Enable Local Area Connection 3 - Virtual Network. Then I get the following in the "Exchange Server 2010 Setup - Readiness Check"

Summary: 6 item(s). 5 succeeded, 1 failed.
    Elapsed time: 00:00:33

Configuring Prerequisites
    Completed

Elapsed Time: 00:00:01

Organization Prerequisites
    Completed

Warning:
    Setup is going to prepare the organization for Exchange 2010 by using 'Setup /PrepareAD'. No Exchange 2007 server roles have been detected in this topology. After this operation, you will not be able to install any Exchange 2003 or Exchange 2007 servers.

Elapsed Time: 00:00:03

Languages Prerequisites
    Completed

Elapsed Time: 00:00:01

Hub Transport Role Prerequisites
    Completed

Warning:

Warning:

Elapsed Time: 00:00:07

Client Access Role Prerequisites
    Failed

Error:
    The 'IIS 7 Dynamic Content Compression' component is required. Install the component via Server Manager.
    Click here for help... http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=30939&l=en&v=ExBPA.14&id=41a25c5e-0d39-4e55-a1f0-7be885982236

Warning:

Warning:

Warning:

Elapsed Time: 00:00:12

Mailbox Role Prerequisites
    Completed

Warning:

Warning:

Elapsed Time: 00:00:07

----

Problem is that If I do turn on the Virtual Network Connection then the internet connection seems to be working just fine BUT it will not open any websites. So, not sure how I could fix that too

Saturday, December 17, 2011 11:03 PM
  • I dont think Windows 2008 R2 HPC is supported for Exchange 2010, hence the error with installing the pre-requisites. See the requirements below;

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996719.aspx

• Proposed as answer by Fiona_Liao Thursday, December 22, 2011 11:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by Fiona_Liao Thursday, December 29, 2011 10:00 AM
    Saturday, December 17, 2011 11:41 PM
  • Any update Kevin?
    Monday, December 19, 2011 3:56 PM
  • Tushar I think you are right, it could be because the Exchange Server I am using is not supported with Windows Server HPC Edition. I will try to use Exchange on a different Windows Server and get back to you with the feedback in sometime soon.
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 10:25 PM
  • Hi Kevin,

I would suggest you install those components, including NET-Framework, Web-Server,RPC-Over-HTTP-Proxy, etc, from GUID. To do this, click Server Manager/Roles/Add Roles. See te picture below:

Hope it is helpful. If the issue continues, please check the Application event log, and feel free to pose the question in server forum http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsserver/. Your understanding would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Fiona Liao

• Proposed as answer by Fiona_Liao Thursday, December 22, 2011 11:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by Fiona_Liao Tuesday, December 27, 2011 9:15 AM
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 11:34 AM
  • Fiona,

is Windows Server HPC Edition supported for Exchange 2010 ?

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 2:19 PM
  • I think it is not supported sa it is not listed in the support list.

Fiona Liao

Thursday, December 29, 2011 9:55 AM