Can I remove an email account, yet leave the emails/folders present within Outlook? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.  I'd like to remove an email account from Outlook (2013, Win 10, x64), yet leave its emails/folders in Outlook.  Is this possible?  If so, how exactly do I ensure that?

Thanks.

Monday, September 25, 2017 6:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You can export or archive all your data into a .pst file. After that, you can then open this .pst file directly within Outlook, all your data, plus folder structure will be presented in your Outlook, even you remove this specific email account.

More reference on how to export emails into a .pst file:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Export-or-backup-email-contacts-and-calendar-to-an-Outlook-pst-file-14252b52-3075-4e9b-be4e-ff9ef1068f91

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 25, 2017 9:53 AM
  • Thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned that I know I can export to PST, then re-import.  I know that workaround exists, and will use it if I necessary.  But that is an extra step that I'd like to avoid, if possible.  I'm specifically asking if it is possible to remove an email account from Outlook, yet have the emails/folders remain in Outlook.  Or does removing an email account *always* remove its email/folders from Outlook in the process?

The email account in-question is setup as IMAP if that matters.

Thanks.

Monday, September 25, 2017 5:04 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the clarification.

Yes, if you remove an email account from Outlook, this will then remove everything associated with this specific account.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 9:55 AM