Windows Server MP 6.0.7323.0 - Logical Disk - File system error or corruption - problems RRS feed

• Question

• We recently have had a problem with this monitor, seemingly.

We have a disk on a Hyper-V server that has been reporting bad sectors for several months, unnoticed, because SCOM did not alert on it, and even now, the disk is failed, but SCOM reports everything is fine with all logical disks.

I would expect the monitor

Windows Server 2012 Logical Disk

File system error or corruption

To catch this.

We do not monitor physical disks, as these are disabled by default in the MP, but there is also no companion monitor for physical disks for this sort of issue.

This seems intuitively as though it should have caught the problem, but the MP never reported the error. There no overrides configured at all for this monitor, or for the logical disk availability monitors at all.

What gives?

Thursday, July 26, 2018 4:36 PM

All replies

• Basically what this monitor does is running the following wmi query : 

select * from Win32_LogicalDisk where (DriveType=3 or DriveType=6) and FileSystem != null

Then for each returned disk it checks if the property "DirtyBitSet" or the property "VolumeDirty" is set to something or is null.

It it is set, then the monitor will alert.

(full script here )

So my guess is that these properties were null in your faulty server, or maybe that WMI was broken.

Thursday, July 26, 2018 4:55 PM
  • Right, but we have no way to know what conditions trigger those bits.
    Thursday, July 26, 2018 5:19 PM
  • I guess we could find that condition by digging deeper, but that's not really related to SCOM anymore ;)
    Thursday, July 26, 2018 5:23 PM
  • True enough, but it's still Microsoft. There ought to be documentation of whether or not this condition (bad sectors on a disk) triggers these bits, and if not, what monitor is triggered (if any) when bad sectors on a disk are detected, how to enable it if it is not enabled, etc...

It's a lot of egg on our face when a disk is failing for months with plenty of warning, and SCOM never notifies even when the disk fails.

Thursday, July 26, 2018 5:54 PM
  • what were the id and source  for the warning you were getting?
    Thursday, July 26, 2018 10:33 PM