none
Issue about data sync in reports (2013) RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello,

    I'm using the ProjectAndAssignements.xlts template report in Project Server 2013 on premises.

    For a specific project, the total Cost in Project Pro 2013 is 206,449 €

    For the same project in POWERPIVOT : ProjectCost = 206,449 

    But for the same project in the Excel report : the cost (Sum of ProjectCost) is 7,432,164 €

    What is the good cost? Same issue for other data :-(

    I published and republished the Project Pro file 10 times...

    What did I miss?

    Thanks for your help




    • Edited by WLID1966 Sunday, May 25, 2014 9:46 AM
    Thursday, May 22, 2014 11:53 AM

All replies

  • There could be multiple problems, it could be either reporting DB not synching, different views being used from reporting DB vs Project pro, it could be data not refreshing in Excel First check i would make sure to look for the same data in SQL by running the query against the reporting DB and would also check if i am looking at the same field, that would ensure that there is no sync issues, if that works then i would check the report and see if its pointing to same data or not and if it is then wether excel data is refreshing or not

    Thanks | epmXperts | http://epmxperts.wordpress.com

    Thursday, May 22, 2014 1:18 PM
    Moderator
  • I created a brand new project in Project Pro: 4 tasks under one summary, 4 resources.

    I published the project...

    In the ProjectAndAssignements.xlts template report the "Sum of Project cost" is exactly 5 times the Cost value in Project Pro 2013. The Work values (hours) are multiplied by 6.

    Definitely, it turns out that this template is unusable ;-(

    Thursday, May 22, 2014 3:12 PM
  • Cost dimension could change based on certain factors like amount of work or resource unit allocation etc.., hence as i said you need to make sure you are looking at the same fields and views, you can use the Project summary report template to include the cost field and check, or you can build your own report to be precise :)

    Thanks | epmXperts | http://epmxperts.wordpress.com

    Thursday, May 22, 2014 3:29 PM
    Moderator
  • I checked everything : the values calculated by the report are absurd. I'm not able to find a logic, even a wrong one, in theses results. 

     L
    Thursday, May 22, 2014 4:45 PM
  • It might be including the summary row cost information in the result set as well, so you would get the details as well as the rollup data.

    I think I had to change the query before where I inserted a clause like this to zero out the cost when the task is a summary row. I put this in the Select part of the query.

    CASE WHEN TaskIsSummary = 1 THEN 0

    ELSE [Name of the cost field] END As [Whatever Name You Need]

    Hope this helps.

    Treb Gatte, Project MVP | @tgatte | http://AboutMSProject.com

    Saturday, May 24, 2014 8:53 AM
    Moderator
  • I checked also in POWERPIVOT :

    For the same project in POWERPIVOT : ProjectCost = 206,449 (Same value in Project Pro)

    So it seems that the Excel template is wrong.

    Sunday, May 25, 2014 9:49 AM