Can't initialize new SATA drive RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running Windows Vista 32-bit.

I've had an EIDE 160GB hard drive in my computer, and I just added a new SATA Western Digital WD5000AAJS 500GB HD. I loaded into BIOS right away, and the drive was detected just fine. I booted into Windows and entered the disk management console, and the initialization wizard did not start.

I right-clicked on the space like I was supposed to, but I still do not have that option to initialize the drive.....everything is greyed out except for properties and help.

I booted back into BIOS and set the drive as a RAID drive, because I read in another forum that it might fix the problem....but it didn't work.

Device manager says the drive is working properly, and I downloaded the Western Digital diagnostic utility, which said the drive passed and is working properly.

Any ideas?
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 4:41 AM

Answers

• I found the solution....and was embarrassingly simple!!!  I was right-clicking on the unallocated space itself, but you need to right-click on the icon instead to initialize the disk.  I missed that detail....ooops!!  Smile 
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 10:29 PM

All replies

• Have you tried manually assigning it a drive letter. If you have multiple CD drives or network drives, it might not show up. Manually assign a drive letter and I think it should show up. (Especially since you say that it reports that the drive is working fine)

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 7:14 PM
  • I found the solution....and was embarrassingly simple!!!  I was right-clicking on the unallocated space itself, but you need to right-click on the icon instead to initialize the disk.  I missed that detail....ooops!!  Smile 
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 10:29 PM
  • Just spent 20 minutes doing the exact same thing, until I read your post.  You're not the only one Smile  Thanks for the answer -

D
    Saturday, August 2, 2008 12:40 PM
  •  

I read your post, tried the same thing. My new propblem is an error that says "The device is not ready". How the heck do I ready the device.

PLEASE HELP

Monday, August 11, 2008 10:03 PM
  • are you in the process of building the array? Try using killdrive from killdrive.com to zero the drive and see if that helps.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 1:35 AM
  • I am in the same club too!  It is only normal to want to right click the graphic area but that would be too smart for microcrap to realize this and so they made it so specific to have to click the small spot

Thursday, August 14, 2008 3:08 AM
  • Forgive me, how exactly do i assign the letter.  Right click where?

Saturday, August 16, 2008 3:03 AM
  • Device manager shows the new drive.  right click where?

Saturday, August 16, 2008 3:10 AM