none
Windows fails auto update and loops endlessly RRS feed

• Question

• When 7 windows starts on my computer, it runs an auto update.  When it fails, it reverts.  Then restarts Windows.  Performing this loop endlessly, Windows never reaches the login screen.  I have run the diagnostics that come with windows.  The extended memory test found no errors.  The startup test found no errors, but ended with the statement, "Unspecified changes to system config might have caused the problem."  Then it goes on to state Repair action: system files integrity check and repair error code 0xa.  Time 7036ms, but seemed to run much longer than that.

Is there a bootable application that would allow a Windows tech to remote access my machine?

The other thing that I observed before Windows reached this stage is that Windows thinks that it is not genuine.  My daughter had purchased the Windows 7 upgrade from Vista when she was attending college.  Windows 7 has been running on the machine for about 7 years and passed the genuine test several times during this time.  I have the installation disk and product keys.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as the computer is no longer usable.

• Edited by krw4 Wednesday, June 1, 2016 2:03 PM
    Tuesday, May 31, 2016 2:25 PM

Answers

• 1a. Boot from the Windows System Repair Disc and choose the repair option in the lower left hand corner, choose System Restore, and select a Restore Point predating the attempted installation of the updates.

1b. If you don't have the DVD  came preinstalled on the machine, use F8 at the bios splash screen to get the Windows Advanced Screen, choose "Repair Your Computer" from the list, do a Windows System Restore.

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

• Marked as answer by krw4 Wednesday, June 1, 2016 2:17 PM
    Wednesday, June 1, 2016 2:42 AM
  • Hi krw4,

Based on your description, I want to confirm that which updates have you installed?

First we could collect the update log and share us for further research.

We could also try to boot into recovery option and try system restore.

Then we could refer to the link to narrow down the issue.

"Failure configuring Windows updates. Reverting changes. Do not turn off your computer" error when you try to install Windows updates

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/949358

For more update issue, please refer to the link:

Fix Microsoft Windows Update Issues:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/windows-update-issues/en-us?wa=wsignin1.0

Best Regards,

Tao

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, June 1, 2016 12:54 PM

All replies

• 1a. Boot from the Windows System Repair Disc and choose the repair option in the lower left hand corner, choose System Restore, and select a Restore Point predating the attempted installation of the updates.

1b. If you don't have the DVD  came preinstalled on the machine, use F8 at the bios splash screen to get the Windows Advanced Screen, choose "Repair Your Computer" from the list, do a Windows System Restore.

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

Wednesday, June 1, 2016 2:42 AM
  • Hi krw4,

Based on your description, I want to confirm that which updates have you installed?

First we could collect the update log and share us for further research.

We could also try to boot into recovery option and try system restore.

Then we could refer to the link to narrow down the issue.

"Failure configuring Windows updates. Reverting changes. Do not turn off your computer" error when you try to install Windows updates

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/949358

For more update issue, please refer to the link:

Fix Microsoft Windows Update Issues:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/windows-update-issues/en-us?wa=wsignin1.0

Best Regards,

Tao

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, June 1, 2016 12:54 PM
  • Thanks for your advice.  I have done 1b already.  I do have the DVD, but it is not bootable.  I tried the restore point, but it failed and no longer exists.  All of the diagnostics pass, except where I cited above.
    Wednesday, June 1, 2016 1:42 PM
  • Hi Tao,

Thanks for your advice.  The links provide useful information.  Unfortunately, they seem to require that you can login to the machine, which I cannot.  I had tried booting from the installation disk.  It did boot, but just requested that I restart.  After restarting, the repair screen appeared.  When I tried booting from the dvd again, I got an error that it was not bootable.

Before the problem progressed to the state it is in now, I contacted Microsoft support.  The tech remote connected to my PC.  Tried some stuff.  Then reinstalled Windows using my DVD.  Some days afterwards, the update became endless.

Ken

Wednesday, June 1, 2016 2:16 PM