none
IE 32 bit pinned to taskbar is opening 64-bit IE RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Some users are experiencing this but not all. For some users, when they pin the 32-bit version of IE to their taskbar and click on it, it opens the 64-bit version. I've attempted to unpin and re-pin the 32-bit version of IE but still the 64-bit opens when clicking on it. I've checked the privacy setting in the taskbar properties, and all is fine. I'm not sure why the 32-bit version of IE opens the 64-bit when pinned to the Start Menu. Does anyone has a suggestion on a fix.

Thanks

Thursday, March 20, 2014 6:34 PM

Answers

• I found this huge vbscript that updates all shortcuts on the pc to 32bit.

http://csi-windows.com/toolkit/csiresetie32-bitshortcuts

Shame MS does not think to actually prevent such problems, that would be expecting too much from them, considering they are the most lazy developers to have ever existed.

• Edited by Johnmclain Friday, May 16, 2014 3:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by helpo112 Thursday, September 4, 2014 6:48 PM
    Friday, May 16, 2014 3:31 PM

All replies

• Thanks but I'm dealing with IE8 and the above option is not an option for IE 8. Is there any way to check the path a pinned application is using?
    Friday, March 21, 2014 12:28 PM
  • way to check the path a pinned application is using?

wmic.exe  Process  where  (Name="iexplore.exe")  Get  CommandLine, ProcessId

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, March 21, 2014 1:40 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

Thanks, but it does appear to be the right path, but for whatever reason when the pinned icon is clicked it's opening the 64-bit version.

Monday, March 24, 2014 1:40 PM
  • As part of the UAT of new application release at our company, I personally came across the same issue in IE 8 launching the 64-bit version on Windows 7 and thought should know what we determined led to this situation.  Once this is happening if the user then upgrades to IE 9 on new PCs with 64-bit processors, we observe the issue persists as well.  I have not tested if upgrades again to IE 10 if the behavior reamin 

As background, for application testing purposes across browser versions, I had downgraded from IE 11 to IE 10 (by removing the IE 11 update) and then downgraded from IE 10 to IE 8 (again by removing the IE 10 update).   Since that time I was noticing the issue and when researching the pinned IE in taskbar which does not say 64-bit but observe that its link that opens ne IE windows is referring the 64-bit executable under folder Program Files\Internet Explorer.exe. 

Furthemore, now when I upgrade to IE 9 that downloads IE 9 64-bit for behavior is carried forward such that from the pinned IE 9 which does not show 64-bit bit its link that opens new IE windows is referring to the 64-bit executable under folder Program Files\Internet Explorer.exe.    I now am checking IE 9 behavior on my machine to others who did not have these downgrades and upgrades and do not experience the issue described herein to confirm if other differences regarding processing in 32-bit vs. 64-bit

I am them going to evaluate potential and recommended workarounds to restore the desired behavior for launching new instanced of IE 32-bit:

• Can the link in pinned IE on taskbar be changed to the 32-bit IE executable?
    • Under IE > Tools > Options > Advanced Settings will Reset or Restore revert the behavior?
    • or need to remove all IE updates and need to reinstall?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thursday, May 15, 2014 3:44 PM
  • I found this huge vbscript that updates all shortcuts on the pc to 32bit.

http://csi-windows.com/toolkit/csiresetie32-bitshortcuts

Shame MS does not think to actually prevent such problems, that would be expecting too much from them, considering they are the most lazy developers to have ever existed.

• Edited by Johnmclain Friday, May 16, 2014 3:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by helpo112 Thursday, September 4, 2014 6:48 PM
    Friday, May 16, 2014 3:31 PM