My cd/dvd rw driver is either missing or corrupt how do I download a new driver? RRS feed

• Question

• when pulling up the device manager it shows the drive but has a warning icon beside it and when you pull it up it says that windows can not load device driver for this hardware. the driver may be corrupted or missing (code 39)

I am running vista home basic edition on an emachine computer.
    the device information is as follows:
    HL-DT-ST-DVD-RW GSA-H11N ATA DEVICE
    driver provider Microsoft
    driver date 06-21-06
    driver version 6.0.6001.1800 (longhorn_rtm 080118-1840)
    driver signature Microsoft Windows

I have tried to update the driver thru the device manager only to be told the current driver is the most current.
    I have called the tech support line for the computer manufacturer and they were of little help only leaving me with the option to ship the machine back to them but to make sure I back up all my data before doing so(with what my burner is not working).
    I have explored every option that I know of and I need help cause I dont see how sending the machine back will fix the problem the error message as I understand it isnt saying the device itself is bad only the driver and when I uninstall it and restart the computer tries to update only to recieve an error message saying the driver installation failed but it doesnt really tell me why.

any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.  
    Thank you
    patience
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 6:17 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

I have the following suggestions for you.

Suggestion 1:

=====================

If you have installed any CD/DVD-burning software, please temporarily remove them from "Control Panel"-> "Programs and Features".

Suggestion 2:

====================

1. Click the Start Button, type regedit in the "Start Search" text box and then press ENTER.

2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. Right click the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} entry, choose "Export", select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

4. Highlight this key ({4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}), on the right pane, and then check if Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

5. Restart the computer

Suggestion 3:

===========================

1. Click the Start Button, type devmgmt.msc in the “Start Search” box and press Enter.

2. Expand "DVD/CD-ROM drives".

3. Right click the DVD-ROM drive, and click "Uninstall".

Then, please restart computer to test the problem.

Hope it helps. 

Tuesday, December 30, 2008 9:14 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

I have the following suggestions for you.

Suggestion 1:

=====================

If you have installed any CD/DVD-burning software, please temporarily remove them from "Control Panel"-> "Programs and Features".

Suggestion 2:

====================

1. Click the Start Button, type regedit in the "Start Search" text box and then press ENTER.

2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. Right click the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} entry, choose "Export", select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

4. Highlight this key ({4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}), on the right pane, and then check if Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

5. Restart the computer

Suggestion 3:

===========================

1. Click the Start Button, type devmgmt.msc in the “Start Search” box and press Enter.

2. Expand "DVD/CD-ROM drives".

3. Right click the DVD-ROM drive, and click "Uninstall".

Then, please restart computer to test the problem.

Hope it helps. 

Tuesday, December 30, 2008 9:14 AM
  • Hello Robinson,

I did your suggestion 2 for the same error I experienced... except that it was code 37.  My question is this: I deleted the upper and lower filters, and that worked.  But when I went to burn an itunes disc, it could not read my burner.

Thanks to your suggestion, I got the upper filter back from the back up folder I created on the desktop and fixed the code in that folder.  It now works perfectly! 

My question is this:  What do I do with the back up Regedit folder?  Will I need this in the future? Can I trash it?  Please advise.  I don't want to mess up my computer but I don't want it on my desktop either... or take up space that is not needed. 

Thanks!
    Monday, March 16, 2009 9:55 PM