none
Best practice for customising scripts and xml RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

As I am embarking on transferring a heavily customised non documented mdt 2010 environment to a pristine, newly installed mdt 2012 environment, I wanted to get an idea as to how best to customise existing scripts and xml. My concern is that if I start modifying the default scripts then they may be replaced by a future service pack and I could lose my customisations.

So what's the best? Just customise the existing scripts and save them and replace them when you update MDT?

Or do you just put a one liner in the existing scripts to call your own customised script?

and with xml (e.g. DeployWiz_Definition_ENU.xml), do you just customise it in place or add panes with "reference=" pointing to your customised xml?

Thanks

Thursday, May 16, 2013 10:25 PM

All replies

• What I do is

On a new server install the latest MDT.
    Copy deploymentshare from old server to new server.

On the new server
    Enable share deploymentshare$
    Edit control\Settings.xml to match the new deploymentshare$
    Open and upgrade deploymentshare.
    Using a code compare tool; Compare MDT provided files from the old server with the new server. Merge your company code into the new server.

Best practices would be to minimize customization of the files provided by MDT. You can get pretty creative with userexit scritps, add your own scripts and using webservice. But sometimes it is best to edit MDT files directly.

Deployment Wizard from MDT 2010 to MDT 2012 is very different and you cannot merge your changes directly. You need to rewrite your code.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 8:26 AM