none
Why finished, fixed duration tasks are an object of automatic scheduler? RRS feed

• Question

• I have finished one a duration fixed task XX in January and set it up as finished. However, from time to time it happens that I receive the following message for this task, when I re-open the plan “The resource is assigned outside of the original dates for task XX in project YY. The duration for this fixed-duration task will change to accommodate the resource assignment.” The next the duration of the task is increased and hence also start date of successor tasks.

My questions:

1. Why this change is applied to already finished tasks? What is the logic in changing the past by automatic scheduler?
    2. Is it possible to turn off this automate change to already finished tasks?
    3. Is this possible because someone else manipulated with assignment of resources for January in ResourcePool and thus impacted my plan?

Thank you.

• Edited by dzieciou Monday, July 25, 2011 2:24 PM turn -> turn off
    Monday, July 25, 2011 2:16 PM

Answers

• I notice, Dzieciou, that you have unmarked my Answer tag.  Tell me - how have you managed since 25 Jul?  I assumed that Hans.H's answer was the answer as you didn't respond. 

Mike

Sunday, January 8, 2012 10:51 PM

All replies

• Hi dzieciou,

How do you set the task to 'finished'?

Are you connected to Project Server?

Is this project part of a master project?

Regards,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    Monday, July 25, 2011 2:20 PM
  • Hi Hans,

Ad 1: I set "% Complete" to 100%

Ad 2: No, we use shared Resource Pool

Ad 3: Yes.

Regards,

Dzieciou

Monday, July 25, 2011 2:22 PM
  • Could it be that someone else has made changes to the task in the master project?

Because once a task has been set to 100% complete, it is not rescheduled anymore.

This message typically indicates that the task has been edited externally. This could be done through status updates from Project Server (not the case for you), or by changes made in the master project or maybe someone has been playing around in the resource pool and has updated the assignment for this task.

Regards,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    • Marked as answer by Mike GlenModerator Saturday, December 24, 2011 6:45 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by dzieciou Sunday, January 8, 2012 9:07 AM
    Monday, July 25, 2011 2:26 PM
  • I notice, Dzieciou, that you have unmarked my Answer tag.  Tell me - how have you managed since 25 Jul?  I assumed that Hans.H's answer was the answer as you didn't respond. 

Mike

Sunday, January 8, 2012 10:51 PM