How does WSUS know which updates to download? RRS feed

• Question

• Where is it in settings?  i'm working with wsus version 3.2

do i need to install all updates that wsus has downloded ?

Monday, October 2, 2017 9:49 AM

All replies

• WSUS is a repository of updates. Computers check in to see what updates are available on that WSUS Server that are in the approved state and download and install the updates based on GPO settings.

WSUS has a products and classifications options box that allows you to govern what updates and classes get downloaded and 'presented' to clients who check for updates. A client computer will report back to the server indicating what updates it has, and WSUS will figure out what updates it is missing and present you with the option of approving the updates or not (View - Unapproved updates with the status of Failed or Needed). If you approve an update, it is at that time that WSUS will download the update files from Microsoft to store locally (if setup this way, which is default), so that the next time the computer checks for updates, it will receive this update as a needed update.

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    http://www.adamj.org

• Proposed as answer by Yan Li_ Friday, October 13, 2017 6:07 AM
    Tuesday, October 3, 2017 3:11 AM
  • Hello,

WSUS will sync updates from Update source(such as Microsoft Update or another WSUS server) according to products and classification you select. 

And clients that report to WSUS server will tells which update is needed, and then WSUS admin can approve updates, and then client should download them and install them. 

Regards,

Yan Li

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 13, 2017 6:18 AM
    • what will happen if i approve update that no relevant to client ? For Example i approve visio update to
    •  client that does not have visio installed? 

what will happen ?

Tuesday, October 17, 2017 10:27 AM
    • what will happen if i approve update that no relevant to client ? For Example i approve visio update to
    •  client that does not have visio installed? 

what will happen ?

WSUS will download the update for visio and patiently wait for a client to show up. Usually you should decline updates that are NOT in your environment.
    Tuesday, October 17, 2017 1:01 PM
  • Hello,

When you approve a update for a client which do not need the update, it would not install the update. 

Regards,

Yan 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Yan Li_ Thursday, November 2, 2017 9:27 AM
    Thursday, October 19, 2017 8:29 AM