none
Motherboard/SSD failure & BSOD RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys, hopefully this is the correct forum to post in.

I'm having trouble with my computer randomly giving me BSOD's (Critical process died - no code) pretty often, which started just the other day. I entirely wiped my drive thinking it was driver issues, and it immediately was still doing it. Additionally now half the time when I boot up the system it takes me to the boards boot menu and acts like the drive isn't even there and I have to restart it until it shows up. Trying to figure out if this could be my board failing or my drive? (I don't recall the exact details, but this boards SATA 1 port I THINK even failed on me shortly after I bought the board a few years ago and I have the drive moved to 2, which is what leads me to believe the board is failing)

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 3:04 PM

All replies

• I don't think it's MB problem.

Which boot preference have you set in BIOS? Make sure HDD as 1st boot preference.

If it fails, then try to  Clean install Windows again. You may go through the following link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10

Follow the steps to create installation media (USB flash drive or DVD) you can use to install a new copy of Windows 10, perform a clean installation, or reinstall Windows 10.

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 12:55 AM
  • Hi,

I agree with S.Sengupta‘s suggestion. Also I would recommend to update all devices' driver to the latest version through manufacturer website, and recommend to boot into Clean Boot environment and check if the issue occur again.

Bests, 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 10:47 AM
  • I did a clean restore on Win10. Wiped out everything and took it back to new, then immediately updated everything through Windows Update and proceeded to all of the newest drivers and BIOS updates for the board. Had the same thing happen within an hour. My boot priority is set to only that drive, as it's the only bootable drive in my system. Is it more possible that it's the drive failing?
    • Edited by Glasswolf89 Wednesday, July 17, 2019 2:08 PM
    Wednesday, July 17, 2019 2:08 PM
  • Hi,

Analyzing dump file is necessary for BSOD issue. So I recommend to check the log file which recorded in C:\Windows\minidump and use Windbg tool to analysis the minidump file.

Here is a link about download and use manual for Windbg.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/debugger-download-tools

Bests,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, July 27, 2019 1:29 PM
  • Which hardware components are under warranty?

Which hardware components are available to swap and test?

To evaluate the BSOD please post logs for troubleshooting.

Using administrative command prompt copy and paste this whole command.

Make sure the default language is English so that the logs can be scanned and read.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3813-language-add-remove-change-windows-10-a.html

The command will automatically collect the computer files and place them on the desktop.

Then use 7zip to organize the files and one drive, drop box, or google drive to place share links into the thread for troubleshooting.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Share-OneDrive-files-and-folders-9fcc2f7d-de0c-4cec-93b0-a82024800c07

This command will automatically collect these files:  msinfo32, mini dumps, drivers, hosts, install, uninstall, services, startup, event viewer files, etc.

Open administrative command prompt and copy and paste the whole command:

copy %SystemRoot%\minidump\*.dmp "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\"&dxdiag /t %Temp%\dxdiag.txt&copy %Temp%\dxdiag.txt "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SFdebugFiles\"&type %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts >> "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\hosts.txt"&systeminfo > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\systeminfo.txt"&driverquery /v > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\drivers.txt" &msinfo32 /nfo "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\msinfo32.nfo"&wevtutil qe System /f:text > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\eventlog.txt"&reg export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\uninstall.txt"&reg export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components" "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\installed.txt"&net start > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\services.txt"&REM wmic startup list full /format:htable >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.html"&wmic STARTUP GET Caption, Command, User >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.txt"

There are two files for you to find manually:

a) C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP

Use file explorer > this PC > local C: drive > right upper corner search enter the above to find results.

b) dxdiag:  

In the left lower corner search type:  dxdiag > When the DirectX Diagnostic Tool opens click on the next page button so that each tab is opened > click on save all information > save to desktop > post one drive or drop box share link into the thread

Please remember to vote and to mark the replies as answers if they help.

Saturday, July 27, 2019 8:20 PM