none
Can't set users IE homepage

Question

• Hello,

I can't set a users homepage in IE via a GPO anymore, Google is fine.

If I use a gpresults on my PC it shows the old homepage under User > control panel settings > internet settings > internet 5 and 6 which we don't use.

and the winning GPO is {F11A6AA7-CE51-466A-9105-2F3E74126E61},mydomain.local

The wining gpo should be the Default Domain Policy.

I can't find a GPO called {F11A6AA7-CE51-466A-9105-2F3E74126E61} as I guess it's lost it's friendly name.  If I go to the sysvol folder {F11A6AA7-CE51-466A-9105-2F3E74126E61}, is in there.

What can I do?

Thursday, October 08, 2015 12:39 PM

All replies

• Hi TB303,

Thanks for your post.

According to your description, it seems it still show the old GPO. In the GPresult, it only show GUID name, and you can't even find the GPO, it may be still the old GPO reference.

You check the article about How To  Identify Group Policy Objects in the Active Directory and SYSVOL

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/216359

If it is the old Group policy, could  your please try to delete all the old Group Policy registry keys using GPP?

If after delete manually, it works, we suggest you use GPP to delete them. But after that the registry keys won't come back, in case of mistaking deleting, please backup before the operation.

Besides, What's your IE now?

If it's IE7 or IE 8, you may also refer to the following article.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2493729

Best Regards,

Mary Dong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 09, 2015 3:02 AM
  • Strange I ran:

dsquery * -filter "(objectCategory=groupPolicyContainer)" -attr displayName objectGUID -limit 0

and put into a text file and searched for the GUID and it does not show up?

What next?

I'm not sure how I locate in manually and use GPP, can yo be kind enough to explain?

Thanks

Friday, October 09, 2015 7:05 AM
  • > If I use a gpresults on my PC it shows the old homepage under User >
    > control panel settings > internet settings > internet 5 and 6 which we
    > don't use.

"Control Panel"??? I'm aware of the abandoned IEM, but not of this path...

Greetings/Grüße, Martin

Mal ein gutes Buch über GPOs lesen?
    Good or bad GPOs? - my blog…
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment (-:
    Friday, October 09, 2015 6:21 PM