none
DPM 2012 R2 missing files/directories in Backup Using Child Partition RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I recently updated to DPM 2012 R2 to be able to backups Hyper-V 2012 R2. I am running Hyper-V 2012 and Hyper-V 2012 R2 and my VMs are backed up using Child Partition Snapshot.

On one VM (W2k12) I determined, that the E:\ Partition is not backed up properly. If i try to restore data from E: there are missing directories in the root of E:\. The E:\ ist configured as SCSI HDD with vhdx.

Backing up the E:\ Partition through the DPM Agent installed on this VM works fine. But I want to backup data through the Hyper-V Thing.

I also determined that it is imposible to Access the Partition using the administrative share \\servername\e$

The scheduled backups containing this backed up using Child Partition Snapshot Shows no Errors.

Any hints?

Thanks in advance,

Carsten

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 2:58 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you please make a new recovery point with integrity check using the following, it still applies to DPM 2012.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc627335.aspx

New Information

Cmdlet support for integrity check
    DPM 2007 now allows you to trigger an integrity check on a new recovery point through cmdlets through a new parameter WithDataIntegrityCheck. This parameter does not take a value, but if used at the time of creating a new recovery point by using Expressfull backup, it triggers an integrity check on the recovery point.

Syntax

New-RecoveryPoint –Datasource name of data source -Disk -BackupType expressfull –WithDataIntegrityCheck

Example – Integrity Check
    The following sequence of commands allows you to create a new recovery point and perform an integrity check on it before storing it to the variable recoverypt.

$dpmname = (&HOSTNAME)
    $pg = Get-ProtectionGroup -DPMServerName $dpmname
    $pg
    $ds = Get-Datasource -ProtectionGroup $pg[X]         #(WHERE X IS A ZERO BASED INDEX FROM THE OUTPUT OF $PG)
    $ds
    $recoverypt = New-RecoveryPoint -Datasource $ds[Y] -Disk -BackupType expressfull –WithDataIntegrityCheck  #(WHERE Y IS A ZERO BASED INDEX FROM THE OUTOUT OF $DS)

If it finds any mismatch, it fixes the replica for the same and it raises the alert that corruption has been detected.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 5:45 PM
  • Thanks für the reply. The origin problem has been cleared (my fault). The E:\ partition was just a temp store for my data and in production use a iSCSI Target is used on that Server.

But anyway this brings me to my next question: Does the "Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot" include mounted iSCSI targets or must these partitions be backed up through an installed DPM agent on the VM in a separated protection group (this is my current workaround)?

Thursday, February 13, 2014 11:00 AM
  • Hi,

Hyper-v host level backups do not include isci connected volumes. DPM can only backup what DPM agent running on the host has access to which are just the .vhd(x) files.

Yes, you would need to protect the iscsi connected disks at the guest level.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, February 13, 2014 2:02 PM