none
Task duration and end dates change when opening a project in different language versions of Microsoft Project 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am working with colleagues of different nationalities; they use Italian, French and German versions of Microsoft Project 2007 and 2010 (with the same Option configuration in terms of calendars and work hours).

When Italian and German versions users open the same project file, they do not experience differencies in task duration and end dates.

When French version users open the same project file, they experience a change in task duration, so that some of the durations become partial; consequently, the end date shift forward from 1 day to 15 days.

From my investigation so far, I only understood that the cause might be that Project calculates duration in minutes, but I do not see the reason why a change in language version cause a change in duration (Option configuration does not change between PCs).

Thank you for your attention, and for any help you could provide.

Friday, May 4, 2012 8:53 AM

Answers

• Hi all,

Sorry to bump in late but I've been on holiday.

I'm pretty sure this IS a matter of Calenars (Working Time). AFAIK the French version is one where the Standard calendar is based on a 7 hours working day, so as durations in Project are internally expressed in minutes, opening a (f.i.) German file in the French version "true" durations strtch and finish dates alike. Change Working time for all Project Calendars, resourece calendars andtask Calendars to 8 working hour days and the problem will be solved

Greetings from a tri-lingual country :-)

Monday, May 14, 2012 9:09 AM

All replies

• When you say Same option configuration for Calendars, is it working time or holidays too?

Just check if the holiday i.e. non working days are same or different for these countries in the Calendar they use?

Abhijeet M. Mohite

Friday, May 4, 2012 9:21 AM
  • Adding to Abhijeet point, also make sure you have SP1 for Project 2010 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2510690

Sapna S

Friday, May 4, 2012 9:29 AM
  • Hello Abhijeet, Sapna,

thank you for your kind answers.

We added the SP1 but the problem wasn't fixed.

We also checked that working time and holidays are the same too.

Is there anything else that we could try?

Friday, May 4, 2012 3:08 PM
  • Hi Jeco,

I have never used different language versions of the project, so won't be able to suggest further; but I'm sure someone who have worked with different language versions would pitch in soon.

Sapna S

Sunday, May 6, 2012 6:21 AM
  • Hello JecoSurfer,

I have a suggestion: download French trial version of the product on a separate computer and then apply all the updates; next, open the problem file. If all seems OK then there is nothing wrong with the product but the settings in French user's system.

The problem may not be related to the French language version of the product. Pls also see the discussion thread here at: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-project/ms-project-2010-open-ms-project-2007-file-and/1005a6bb-c8d2-4356-aa38-3aea9976b256

Have you tested the issue with durations in a file created with French version but opened in your system ? Pls also tell them to do a Save As and send the same file back to you for testing. You can also send me the file at projectuser-at-fastmail.fm, I'll check it and verify the condition.

Regards.

Sunday, May 6, 2012 11:42 AM
  • Hi all,

Sorry to bump in late but I've been on holiday.

I'm pretty sure this IS a matter of Calenars (Working Time). AFAIK the French version is one where the Standard calendar is based on a 7 hours working day, so as durations in Project are internally expressed in minutes, opening a (f.i.) German file in the French version "true" durations strtch and finish dates alike. Change Working time for all Project Calendars, resourece calendars andtask Calendars to 8 working hour days and the problem will be solved

Greetings from a tri-lingual country :-)

Monday, May 14, 2012 9:09 AM
  • Hello Jan,

Welcome back. I am afraid the original poster has already lost interest on the topic. There is no feedback so far.

Regards.

Monday, May 14, 2012 9:31 AM
  • Hello everybody,

I have exactly the same problem. The file was created using a Finnish version on MS Project 2007. I am using English version, MS Project 2010.

The work week and working hour settings are exactly the same for both of us. Still, when I am viewing the same file, the same tasks are shorter. When viewing up close, the main difference is that the task shows shorter on my computer. A 3-day task finishes in 2 days 22h on my computer. A 10-day task finishes in 8 days 22h on my computer. All this adds up to a few weeks in the end for the whole project and makes it impossible for me to use this program.

Based on this it appears to be a bug between 2007 and 2010 as the work week settings are the same.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Risto

Friday, June 8, 2012 12:55 PM
  • Hello Risto,

If you can send me the files at projectuser[at]fastmail.fm, I'll check the files and post what I see (if you permit it).

Regards.

Friday, June 8, 2012 4:38 PM
  • Hi Risto,

How about the Calendar OPTIONS (Hours per day)?

If you enter the durations as hours instead of days, and the calendars are the saeme, then the result will be identical. Th conversion from days to hours is not defined by the working time but by the calendar options!

Greetings,

Friday, June 8, 2012 6:50 PM