WSUS Admin console server node failures RRS feed

• Question

• A minor to moderate annoyance -- I just started encountering this problem with a WSUS console I've been using all along.  

The console is installed on a Windows 7 machine and connects to my WSUS server running on Server 2008 R2.

The problem does not happen on the server, but is pretty consistent from the console on my workstation.

On starting the admin console, then going to All updates view with "any except declined" and "failed or needed" selected, the server node fails and the following appears in the message details:

System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException -- The given key was not present in the dictionary.

If you reset the server node, the console continues to function.

Approving an update, the approval dialogs function and show that the approval completed without errors.

But behind the dialogs, the 'server node failed' screen appears again. The error details contain the message

System.ComponentModel.InvalidEnumArgumentException - The value of argument 'firstExplicitApprovalAction' (3) is invalid for Enum type 'UpdateApprovalAction'.

Again, resetting the server node lets you continue to work.

No updates or other changes were made on this workstation but I did shut it down last evening and start it up again this morning.

I did a manual resync yesterday to get a jump on this month's Patch Tuesday bundle, and had approved updates the same way  with no problem.

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 6:03 PM

Answers

• It suddenly started working again, without my doing anything.   That's why I think a network glitch, rather than some corrupted configuration file, caused the problem.  

At this point, I can only guess that whatever the console failed to do when the connection timed out propagated out to any network query from the WSUS console, and then something eventually reset itself and everything worked again.

There's an apocryphal story about Einstein defining insanity as "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result", but whoever actually made that definition up clearly never worked in IT.

• Marked as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Wednesday, December 17, 2014 2:36 PM
    Thursday, December 11, 2014 8:19 PM

All replies

• A minor to moderate annoyance -- I just started encountering this problem with a WSUS console I've been using all along.  

So what changed on this Windows 7 system?

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCSA, MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2014)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/Lawrence%20R%20Garvin-32101
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 8:32 PM
  • So what changed on this Windows 7 system?

Nothing that I'm aware of, other than the shutdown and restart. 

I suspect there was a network glitch when I started the console for the first time -- the first WSUS event I see in the event log is a

System.Net.WebException -- The operation has timed out

but it's odd that the admin console kept plugging along after that.

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 8:41 PM
  • So what changed on this Windows 7 system?

Nothing that I'm aware of,

And yet, it suddenly quit working.

So the question still stands; it's just a matter of looking beyond what you are aware of to find that answer.

Have you considered the simple possibility of a corrupted MMC config file? Was the console open when you shut the machine down the previous night?

Find and delete the WSUS file in %AppData%\Roaming\Microsoft\MMC and then re-launch the console.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCSA, MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2014)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/Lawrence%20R%20Garvin-32101
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Thursday, December 11, 2014 7:15 PM
  • It suddenly started working again, without my doing anything.   That's why I think a network glitch, rather than some corrupted configuration file, caused the problem.  

At this point, I can only guess that whatever the console failed to do when the connection timed out propagated out to any network query from the WSUS console, and then something eventually reset itself and everything worked again.

There's an apocryphal story about Einstein defining insanity as "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result", but whoever actually made that definition up clearly never worked in IT.

• Marked as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Wednesday, December 17, 2014 2:36 PM
    Thursday, December 11, 2014 8:19 PM