none
A dynamic Team Planner View to concurrent users RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I currently have MS Project Professional 2010. Our business is looking into possibly upgrading our system but we need the team planner view in whatever we choose. We currently have hundreds of projects and thousands of tasks linked to resource pool. The team planner view is the easiest and fastest view for the business to identify what each person is doing on a particular day, who is helping them, who is working on their project, who is on vacation, etc. Issues we're having right now include:

1) Project Professional freezes when multiple users try to access the team planner view at the same time. Even after downloading the hotfix package.

2) We tried uploading some work to Sharepoint but Sharepoint doesn't like tasks with start-to-start predecessors or lag times which greater than 50% of our tasks have.

3) The printable team planner view prints out hundreds of blank pages between sets of dates. I'm assuming they are "unassigned tasks" and there is no method of removing them. Resource names don't carry over to the second set of dates.

Is team planner view available in Project Server or the PWA? We're trying to find a way to get this view to everyone. Allow multiple concurrent users to view it at the same time. And to have their view change simultaneously as I change it without having to upload or print a new team planner view every time I change something.

Thanks for the help.

• Edited by TKFlash Friday, October 24, 2014 4:46 PM
    Friday, October 24, 2014 4:46 PM

All replies

• You have a similar view in Project Server - the Resource Assignment View.  Alternately, you could do something with a custom SSRS report that would emulate the same.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky

Sunday, October 26, 2014 1:47 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Andrew. We explored using the Resource Assignment View but it had its own set of issues like:

1) I can assign up to 40 tasks a week to one person, this creates quite a list for each person as the Resource Assignment View lists the tasks in the column under the person's name. A filtered list of one week still creates a long list, 40-50 pages long, for 30-40 resources.

2) Our resources had a hard time finding who was helping them on certain tasks because of this gigantic list. Again, they are unable to access MS Project without freezing the document so they can't open the task and find out who's helping. Therefore, we like the condensed Team Planner view.

I will explore the SSRS report option but from a little light reading, it appears as though this report doesn't automatically update every time I make a change to the schedule. Therefore, I need to manually create a new report everytime I make a change to the schedule?

Thanks Again,

Travis

Travis

Monday, October 27, 2014 1:13 PM
  • To be honest, it doesn't sound like you're really using Project for what it was intended, i.e. the management of project tasks.  40 tasks / week means you're tracking 1 hour tasks which is typically far more granular than is required for project management (with the possible exception of a turnaround or cutover).  You may want to look into a task management solution - or some of the new Microsoft offerings coming out in work management.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky

Monday, October 27, 2014 1:17 PM