how to set subsites to inherite from parent sites? RRS feed

• Question

• i edited the default.master page of my SharePoint 2007 Collaboration portal in SharePoint Designer.But all the other sites i created at the top level are not inheriting this settings. i have gone to site actions ->look and feel-.> master page-> inherit site master pagefrom parent site. But the sites still did not inherit the customisation of the top level site.
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, December 11, 2009 6:18 AM NEVER say in a forum post that something is urgent. Forums are not for urgent questions. Ring MS Customer Support Services and pay for support if you are in a hurry.
    Friday, December 11, 2009 5:58 AM

Answers

• Hi,

> all the other sites i created at the top level

What do you mean by the above sentence, does it mean you have multiple site collections and you are trying to apply one master page for all the site collection from  Site Settings > Site Master Page Settings page

If so you cannot accomplish this from one site collection, you have to apply the master page for all the site collection explicitly, though multiple site collections may run under the same port but they are independent.

If you set the option 'Reset all subsite's to inherit this Site Master Page setting ' in 'Site Master Page Settings' page you can apply the same master page for all it's subsite's (not for the site collections) if you want the same master page to be apply for the another site collection you have to copy the master page file explicitly to the appropriate site

Additionally, also look into the article for automating Sharepiont site branding
    Best Regards, G Vijai Kumar | My Sharepoint Blog
    • Proposed as answer by GuYuming Tuesday, December 15, 2009 8:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by GuYuming Friday, December 18, 2009 3:40 AM
    Friday, December 11, 2009 8:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

> all the other sites i created at the top level

What do you mean by the above sentence, does it mean you have multiple site collections and you are trying to apply one master page for all the site collection from  Site Settings > Site Master Page Settings page

If so you cannot accomplish this from one site collection, you have to apply the master page for all the site collection explicitly, though multiple site collections may run under the same port but they are independent.

If you set the option 'Reset all subsite's to inherit this Site Master Page setting ' in 'Site Master Page Settings' page you can apply the same master page for all it's subsite's (not for the site collections) if you want the same master page to be apply for the another site collection you have to copy the master page file explicitly to the appropriate site

Additionally, also look into the article for automating Sharepiont site branding
    Best Regards, G Vijai Kumar | My Sharepoint Blog
    • Proposed as answer by GuYuming Tuesday, December 15, 2009 8:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by GuYuming Friday, December 18, 2009 3:40 AM
    Friday, December 11, 2009 8:37 AM
  • Thanks for your post, it was very useful.
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 12:09 PM