lync 2010 cumulative updates question regarding sql update RRS feed

• Question

• hi

will be doing cumulative updates on lync servers in few days. just got a question regarding the command

"Install-CsDatabase -Update -ConfiguredDatabases -SqlServerFqdn <EEBE.Fqdn> -UseDefaultSqlPaths"    

on website http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/library/hh689988(v=ocs.14).aspx  (step 12) it says "If Enterprise Edition Back End Server databases are collocated with other databases, such as Archiving or Monitoring databases, at the command line, type that command"

on web http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2493736?wa=wsignin1.0  it says "in a Lync Server 2010 Enterprise Edition environment in which the archiving/monitoring services are collocated with an Enterprise Edition back-end server, run this cmdlet from the Enterprise Edition back-end server"

as you can see on the first link it talks about database collocated with back end..but the second link talks about monitoring/archiving services being collocated on backend.   i believe first one is correct? can you confirm?

also in our topolgy i do see monitoring server configuration's sql store is pointing to the backend server. so i would assume the command needs to be run on the sql server.???

should i apply this command after updating all frontend and monitoring/archiving? or right after updaing FE servers only?  no links clearly says that. 

also sql datbase only has the powershell (no lync management shell) but just typing to see if that command will be taken by PS, and it doesnt recognize the command as i press tab.  is that mean i have to install lync management shell on datbase?

much appricated.

Thanks

vijay

Friday, April 26, 2013 6:39 PM

Answers

• alright here is the answer. i was able to speak to MS support.

all FE servers should be updated first and then run "Install-CsDatabase -Update -ConfiguredDatabases -SqlServerFqdn <EEBE.Fqdn> -UseDefaultSqlPaths"  on each FE then restart one at a time.

"in a Lync Server 2010 Enterprise Edition environment in which the archiving/monitoring services are collocated with an Enterprise Edition back-end server, run this cmdlet from the Enterprise Edition back-end server"  this means only if the archive/monitor roles installed directly on the back end server.  thats when you need to run the database command on back end server , otherwise all be run on FE.

finally, they also advised me to run this database command on monitoring server (we have a stand alone server for this) as well. as they have seen some issues caused by not running this command on monitoring server. this is not documented on MS web anywhere as far as i can tell.

also same goes to archive server if you have one.

thanks

• Proposed as answer by Kent-Huang Monday, April 29, 2013 7:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Kent-Huang Wednesday, May 1, 2013 1:11 AM
    Monday, April 29, 2013 3:46 AM

All replies

• Anyone has any idea? At least if I should apply the command in back end server or not? If so install Lync management shell there?
    Sunday, April 28, 2013 1:18 AM
  • Hi

Run the "Install-CsDatabase -Update -ConfiguredDatabases -SqlServerFqdn <EEBE.Fqdn> -UseDefaultSqlPaths" command from one of your Lync FE:s, that will update the backend for you. Make sure you have the correct account that runs the command and also check your backups as always, just in case.

The update will take 1-2 minutes then it's done.

/Tim

Sunday, April 28, 2013 2:09 PM
  • alright here is the answer. i was able to speak to MS support.

all FE servers should be updated first and then run "Install-CsDatabase -Update -ConfiguredDatabases -SqlServerFqdn <EEBE.Fqdn> -UseDefaultSqlPaths"  on each FE then restart one at a time.

"in a Lync Server 2010 Enterprise Edition environment in which the archiving/monitoring services are collocated with an Enterprise Edition back-end server, run this cmdlet from the Enterprise Edition back-end server"  this means only if the archive/monitor roles installed directly on the back end server.  thats when you need to run the database command on back end server , otherwise all be run on FE.

finally, they also advised me to run this database command on monitoring server (we have a stand alone server for this) as well. as they have seen some issues caused by not running this command on monitoring server. this is not documented on MS web anywhere as far as i can tell.

also same goes to archive server if you have one.

thanks

• Proposed as answer by Kent-Huang Monday, April 29, 2013 7:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Kent-Huang Wednesday, May 1, 2013 1:11 AM
    Monday, April 29, 2013 3:46 AM