none
Installing multiple protection agents on a single protected computer RRS feed

• Question

• Here's my scenario:

I have an existing DPM server (DPM-A) under which my environment is protected. DPM-A is old and is going to be replaced by an entirely different server (DPM-B). I will not be doing any migrating of data sources/protection groups from A to B. Everything will be new.

Can I install a protection agent from DPM-B onto a computer that already has a protection agent from DPM-A installed?

If not, can I do the following:

1. Stop protection on all existing data sources/computers while retaining backups
    2. Uninstall the DPM-A protection agents
    3. Install the DPM-B protection agents

I want to avoid losing protection, if at all possible, without having to do a migration of protected computers/data sources

Thursday, April 12, 2012 10:32 PM

All replies

• Here's my scenario:

I have an existing DPM server (DPM-A) under which my environment is protected. DPM-A is old and is going to be replaced by an entirely different server (DPM-B). I will not be doing any migrating of data sources/protection groups from A to B. Everything will be new.

Can I install a protection agent from DPM-B onto a computer that already has a protection agent from DPM-A installed?

If not, can I do the following:

1. Stop protection on all existing data sources/computers while retaining backups
    2. Uninstall the DPM-A protection agents
    3. Install the DPM-B protection agents

I want to avoid losing protection, if at all possible, without having to do a migration of protected computers/data sources

Hi oroasisfan45,

You will want to do the second option. Stop protection on DPM A but retain the data. Uninstall DPM A agent. Install DPM B agent and start new protection.

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Friday, April 13, 2012 4:37 AM
  • Hello, 

Only one agent at a time can be on a protected server. You can just decomission the old DPM server and use the new DPM server.  Do not uninstall the old DPM server and leave the storage pool in tact.  This way your Recovery Points will still be there in case you need them. Whenever they get purged via reaching their retention range, then you can do whatever you want with the server. If you need to recover some data from it, you can restore it as a flat file and move it where ever you want. 

Many people do this while transitioning to a new DPM server. This is assuming of course you are NOT performing numerous restores all of the time. 

Regards, Shane. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by ShaneB. _ Thursday, April 26, 2012 12:20 PM
    Friday, April 13, 2012 6:33 PM