windows 7 RC RRS feed

• Question

• my problem with windows 7 RC is the compatibility problem. Many problems are not compatible with that version of windows such as Norton 360 and Alcohol 1.9.8 and others. And When I open some application, a dialogue box comes out saying that there's a compatibility problem with that program. When I click " Run the program", some programs open while others don't.
    Another problem is that when I used windows 7 for some time, my system drive C: became completely full without any byte free space!!!
    Also when I was trying to set up Norton 360, the windows tell me that "msvcr71.dll" and "msvcp71.dll" are missing
    .What's the problem then? is that normal or that's a problem that will be fixed in the coming up final windows 7?
    Please answer me back.
    Friday, July 24, 2009 2:27 AM

Answers

• The programs you mention are known to have issues to run on Windows 7. Symantec has a beta for their next version of Norton to run on Windows 7. More information about the beta can be found at http://www.symantec.com/redirects/norton/norton_com/win7/. According to the Alcohol forums Alcohol 1.9.8.7612 should work on Windows 7. If you are using an earlier build, mak sure that you install the latest available version.

When Windows 7 warns you about known compatibility issues with a program you try to install. You better take that into account and start looking for an updated version of the program. You get the message because Microsoft tries to prevent you from getting into trouble with that software. There is a built in database in Windows 7 that is checked for those issues at installation time.

The problem is that most software that works with Windows Vista will work with Windows 7. There are a few categories that need updates. I know of a couple of AV solutions, CD/DVD emulators and 3G drivers that need updates. Most other software will work on Windows 7 if it works on Windows Vista.
    Ray
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 3:53 AM

All replies

• The programs you mention are known to have issues to run on Windows 7. Symantec has a beta for their next version of Norton to run on Windows 7. More information about the beta can be found at http://www.symantec.com/redirects/norton/norton_com/win7/. According to the Alcohol forums Alcohol 1.9.8.7612 should work on Windows 7. If you are using an earlier build, mak sure that you install the latest available version.

When Windows 7 warns you about known compatibility issues with a program you try to install. You better take that into account and start looking for an updated version of the program. You get the message because Microsoft tries to prevent you from getting into trouble with that software. There is a built in database in Windows 7 that is checked for those issues at installation time.

The problem is that most software that works with Windows Vista will work with Windows 7. There are a few categories that need updates. I know of a couple of AV solutions, CD/DVD emulators and 3G drivers that need updates. Most other software will work on Windows 7 if it works on Windows Vista.
    Ray
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 3:53 AM
  • Thank you for your reply, but do you know which program I can use instead of alcohol to mount ISO images and to avoid compatibility issues??
    and what if the compatibility problem message appeared and I clicked run the program? would that harm my software?
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 12:31 PM
  • I use DAEMON Tools lite, but that program has the same compat. problems.

IF you click continue and run incompatible programs, they might work, but your system will also likely crash.

Hello! Please try every solution given to your problem...and reply back with its results...

- JoelbX
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 1:05 PM
  • Try ISORecorder v3 which has Vista and Windows 7 support along with 32bit and 64bit downloads.
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 1:53 PM
  • I am using Virtual CloneDrive to mount ISO files. I had no issues so far.
    Ray
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 1:57 PM
  • Good that ISO Recorder finally supports DVD image burning. Its about time!

One reason I didn't recommend using ISO Recorder is that it never did DVD image burning, which win7 is a DVD image.

Thanks KeithG2 for pointing that out...
    Hello! Please try every solution given to your problem...and reply back with its results...

- JoelbX
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 1:57 PM