none
event id 12017 An internal transport certificate will expire soon. RRS feed

• Question

• The thumbprint certificate referenced in the application error event log begins with 18A7.  It will expire on 5/19/12.

I included the second certificate (begins with A3BF) as they appear to be duplicates.  There were no event log warnings regarding the second certificate expiring. 

Few questions:  Do I update the 18A7 certificate only as the A3BF appears to be a duplicate and allow that one to expire? The second one is coming due on 5/11/12 but I never got an expiration notice in the event log.

How would I go about properly renewing the 18A7 certificate?  I don't want to fat finger something break the e-mail system.

Do I just run the following to renew the 18A7 certificate?

"Get-ExchangeCertificate -Thumbprint 18A7xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | New-ExchangeCertificate -Services IMAP POP SMTP"

Do I need to remove the expiring certificate as well before I enable the new one? 

Thanks, Andrew

From the exchange 2007 management console, I executed:

get-ExchangeCertificate | list

Below is a snippet of the output:

AccessRules        : {System.Security.AccessControl.CryptoKeyAccessRule, System
                         .Security.AccessControl.CryptoKeyAccessRule, System.Securi
                         ty.AccessControl.CryptoKeyAccessRule}
    CertificateDomains : {Sites, xyz123.xyz.local}
    HasPrivateKey      : True
    IsSelfSigned       : False
    Issuer             : CN=xyz-xyz123-CA
    NotAfter           : 5/19/2012 10:58:54 PM
    NotBefore          : 5/20/2010 10:58:54 PM
    PublicKeySize      : 2048
    RootCAType         : Registry
    SerialNumber       : 61Cxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx      Services           : IMAP, POP, SMTP 

Status             : Valid
    Subject            : CN=Sites
    Thumbprint         : 18A7xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ty.AccessControl.CryptoKeyAccessRule}
    CertificateDomains : {Sites, xyz123.xyz.local}
    IsSelfSigned       : False
    Issuer             : CN=xyz-xyz123-CA
    NotAfter           : 5/11/2012 10:48:44 PM
    NotBefore          : 5/12/2010 10:48:44 PM
    RootCAType         : Registry
    SerialNumber       : 610Bxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx            Services           : IMAP, POP, SMTP
    Thumbprint         : AB3Fxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 3:21 AM

Answers

• On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 03:38:39 +0000, exchange 2007 user wrote:

>
    >
    >Thanks for your reply Rich.
    >
    >So in summary, to correct this problem I plan on implement the following commands. Are the sequence of commands correct?

What CA issued your certificate? The information you provided says:

.. Issuer : CN=xyz-xyz123-CA

Is that YOUR CA? Or is it a commercial CA? If it's your own, just
    create a new certificate request and use it to crtate a new cert.
    Import that and anctivate it.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    Thursday, April 26, 2012 11:47 PM

All replies

• On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 03:21:07 +0000, exchange 2007 user wrote:

>
    >
    >The thumbprint certificate referenced in the application error event log begins with 18A7. It will expire on 5/19/12.
    >
    >I included the second certificate (begins with A3BF) as they appear to be duplicates. There were no event log warnings regarding the second certificate expiring.
    >
    >Few questions: Do I update the 18A7 certificate only as the A3BF appears to be a duplicate and allow that one to expire? The second one is coming due on 5/11/12 but I never got an expiration notice in the event log.
    >
    >How would I go about properly renewing the 18A7 certificate? I don't want to fat finger something break the e-mail system.
    >
    >Do I just run the following to renew the 18A7 certificate?

Both certificates will expire in May of 2012. Using either of them
    will produce the same warning. You need a new certificate that expires
    in, say, two year's time.

>"Get-ExchangeCertificate -Thumbprint 18A7xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | New-ExchangeCertificate -Services IMAP POP SMTP"
    >
    >Do I need to remove the expiring certificate as well before I enable the new one?

No, but it's pointless to keep expired certificates in the server's
    certificate store. After you install a new certificate and enable it
    for use by Exchange you can remove the expired certs.

>AccessRules : {System.Security.AccessControl.CryptoKeyAccessRule, System .Security.AccessControl.CryptoKeyAccessRule, System.Securi ty.AccessControl.CryptoKeyAccessRule} CertificateDomains : {Sites, xyz123.xyz.local} HasPrivateKey : True IsSelfSigned : False Issuer : CN=xyz-xyz123-CA NotAfter : 5/19/2012 10:58:54 PM NotBefore : 5/20/2010 10:58:54 PM PublicKeySize : 2048 RootCAType : Registry SerialNumber : 61Cxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Services : IMAP, POP, SMTP
    >
    >Status : Valid Subject : CN=Sites Thumbprint : 18A7xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    >
    >
    >
    >AccessRules : {System.Security.AccessControl.CryptoKeyAccessRule, System .Security.AccessControl.CryptoKeyAccessRule, System.Securi ty.AccessControl.CryptoKeyAccessRule} CertificateDomains : {Sites, xyz123.xyz.local} HasPrivateKey : True IsSelfSigned : False Issuer : CN=xyz-xyz123-CA NotAfter : 5/11/2012 10:48:44 PM NotBefore : 5/12/2010 10:48:44 PM PublicKeySize : 2048 RootCAType : Registry SerialNumber : 610Bxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Services : IMAP, POP, SMTP Status : Valid Subject : CN=Sites Thumbprint : AB3Fxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 3:31 AM
  • Thanks for your reply Rich.

So in summary, to correct this problem I plan on implement the following commands.  Are the sequence of commands correct?

1. Get-ExchangeCertificate -Thumbprint 18A7xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | New-ExchangeCertificate -Services IMAP POP SMTP

2. Get-ExchangeCertificate | fl  (to grab new thumbprint of the newly generated certificate)

3. Enable-ExchangeCertificate Thumbprint <thumprint of new certificate> -Services IMAP POP SMTP

4. Remove-ExchangeCertificate - Thumbprint 18A7xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - Services IMAP POP SMTP

5. (restart Microsoft Exchange Transport service)

Repeat steps 1 - 5 for second certificate thumbprint AB3Fxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

Thursday, April 26, 2012 3:38 AM
  • On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 03:38:39 +0000, exchange 2007 user wrote:

>
    >
    >Thanks for your reply Rich.
    >
    >So in summary, to correct this problem I plan on implement the following commands. Are the sequence of commands correct?

What CA issued your certificate? The information you provided says:

.. Issuer : CN=xyz-xyz123-CA

Is that YOUR CA? Or is it a commercial CA? If it's your own, just
    create a new certificate request and use it to crtate a new cert.
    Import that and anctivate it.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Thursday, April 26, 2012 11:47 PM
  • Hi Rich, I had replaced the CA information with xyz and removed a lot of the thumbprint information for security reasons.  All other information is unaltered. 

Ok, I will create a new certificate and enable them.

Friday, April 27, 2012 1:04 AM
  • Ok, I just created two new certificates for the ones expiring on 5/11 and 5/19/12.  The only thing I notice that's different with the new certificates is that they do not say "Issuer CN=xyz-xyz123-CA."  Both of them say CN=Sites. 

Will that affect the operation of the certificates?

Thanks mucho Rich!

ty.AccessControl.CryptoKeyAccessRule, System.Security.Acce
                         ssControl.CryptoKeyAccessRule}
    CertificateDomains : {Sites, xyz-xyz123.local}
    IsSelfSigned       : True
    Issuer             : CN=Sites
    NotAfter           : 4/26/2017 6:28:12 PM
    NotBefore          : 4/26/2012 6:28:12 PM
    RootCAType         : None
    SerialNumber       : 1A56F875D7ED17BE4E95D7C89C98653F
    Services           : IMAP, POP, SMTP
    Thumbprint         : 97EAxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ty.AccessControl.CryptoKeyAccessRule, System.Security.Acce
                         ssControl.CryptoKeyAccessRule}
    CertificateDomains : {Sites, xyz-xyz123.local}
    IsSelfSigned       : True
    Issuer             : CN=Sites
    NotAfter           : 4/26/2017 6:20:17 PM
    NotBefore          : 4/26/2012 6:20:17 PM
    RootCAType         : None
    SerialNumber       : 436330ED97B389A4452B4B670DB0EE00
    Services           : IMAP, POP, SMTP
    Thumbprint         : 3F69xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Friday, April 27, 2012 1:39 AM
  • On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 01:39:30 +0000, exchange 2007 user wrote:

>Ok, I just created two new certificates for the ones expiring on 5/11 and 5/19/12. The only thing I notice that's different with the new certificates is that they do not say "Issuer CN=xyz-xyz123-CA." Both of them say CN=Sites.
    >
    >Will that affect the operation of the certificates?

It shouldn't.

>
    >Thanks mucho Rich!
    >
    >AccessRules : {System.Security.AccessControl.CryptoKeyAccessRule, System .Security.AccessControl.CryptoKeyAccessRule, System.Securi ty.AccessControl.CryptoKeyAccessRule, System.Security.Acce ssControl.CryptoKeyAccessRule} CertificateDomains : {Sites, xyz-xyz123.local} HasPrivateKey : True IsSelfSigned : True Issuer : CN=Sites NotAfter : 4/26/2017 6:28:12 PM NotBefore : 4/26/2012 6:28:12 PM PublicKeySize : 2048 RootCAType : None SerialNumber : 1A56F875D7ED17BE4E95D7C89C98653F Services : IMAP, POP, SMTP Status : Valid Subject : CN=Sites Thumbprint : 97EAxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    >
    >AccessRules : {System.Security.AccessControl.CryptoKeyAccessRule, System .Security.AccessControl.CryptoKeyAccessRule, System.Securi ty.AccessControl.CryptoKeyAccessRule, System.Security.Acce ssControl.CryptoKeyAccessRule} CertificateDomains : {Sites, xyz-xyz123.local} HasPrivateKey : True IsSelfSigned : True Issuer : CN=Sites NotAfter : 4/26/2017 6:20:17 PM NotBefore : 4/26/2012 6:20:17 PM PublicKeySize : 2048 RootCAType : None SerialNumber : 436330ED97B389A4452B4B670DB0EE00 Services : IMAP, POP, SMTP Status : Valid Subject : CN=Sites Thumbprint : 3F69xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Friday, April 27, 2012 1:46 AM
  • There are no more event id 12017 entries in the application log since the certificate renewals. 

Thanks again Rich!

Sunday, April 29, 2012 5:37 PM