none
Creating virtual machines templates

Question

• Guys,

What would be the best practice to create virtual machine templates? Should i create one fully vm(lets call it vm1) and let my other vm's point to that fully vm so those other vm's can use the virtual harddisk of vm1 as if its their own? I did find a youtube movie a few weeks ago, some created a template vm and his other vm's used that tempalte vm's harddisk as their own. he also changed the rights to the folder where the template vm was residing. But i cant find that movie anymore.

thanks for the help.

• Edited by enlil Saturday, March 04, 2017 8:11 PM
    Saturday, March 04, 2017 7:35 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Like I said you need to run sysprep and create golden template. Next you will need to copy that drive to new location example folder Golden Image. What I mean by that is that you need to copy that vhdx file from golden image folder to new VM folder. You will not point VMs to that folder. You need to copy drive from that folder to new VM folder and make VMs from it.

If you have 3 new VMs 

DC01

DC02

DC03 

You will need to copy that drive 3 times for every new VM and point to existing drive. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. 
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

• Edited by Nedim Mehic Friday, March 10, 2017 9:16 PM
    • Marked as answer by enlil Thursday, March 30, 2017 5:54 AM
    Friday, March 10, 2017 9:05 PM
  • Technically you have "differencing disk" option for that scenario.

But you'll give your storage a hard time. It'll deal with shared folders and permissions if your parent vhd is placed in shared folder.

Friday, March 10, 2017 10:27 PM
  • Again, assuming a lab environment (why else would you have two DCs on the same host?), yes, you would initially save a little disk space.  No other resource savings.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Sunday, March 12, 2017 5:20 PM

All replies

• many thanks for the reply. I don remember it could be done easier. As i stated before, i think it has got to do something with adjusting the security rights to a folder and letting the new vm's pointing for that harddisk to the templates harddisk with the adjusted ntfs rights. Pitty i cant find the youtube video anymore and youtube's history isnt helping me
    Friday, March 10, 2017 8:47 PM
  • Technically you have "differencing disk" option for that scenario.

But you'll give your storage a hard time. It'll deal with shared folders and permissions if your parent vhd is placed in shared folder.

Friday, March 10, 2017 10:27 PM
  • A differencing disk for Nedim's example is okay for a lab environment.  I would never propose it for a production environment.

Saturday, March 11, 2017 2:45 PM
  • a differencing disk for a dc or two, woulnd't that help reducing resources in use?
    Sunday, March 12, 2017 12:53 PM
  • Again, assuming a lab environment (why else would you have two DCs on the same host?), yes, you would initially save a little disk space.  No other resource savings.

Sunday, March 12, 2017 5:20 PM
  • Hi,
    Are there any updates?
    You could mark the reply as answer if it is helpful.
    Best Regards,
    Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 30, 2017 1:51 AM