How Web.Config Levels Work RRS feed

• Question

• There's the web.config in the 12-hive, from which each virtual directory's web.config is compiled. (There's also the littler ones: in ISAPI, TEMPLATES, and the wpresources per virtual directory).

Manual edits to a virtual directory's web.config (inetpub/wwwroot/virtualdirectories/wss/port#/web.config) don't affect the whole farm, right? It's purely edits on a web application level?

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, August 18, 2011 4:45 PM admin not general (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    • Edited by Mari Bennett Thursday, August 18, 2011 5:28 PM
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 3:41 PM

Answers

• You are correct, changes to a web.config file within the IIS virtual directory for a site in IIS that's used to host SharePoint sites will only impact the sites within the SharePoint web application associated with that IIS web site. There is a direct correlation between a SharePoint web application and an IIS web site in SharePoint 2007, so edits to the site's web.config file only impact that web application. You can have one to many site collections within a web application, and one to many subsites (also referred to as webs) within a site collection, and all of those objects within a web application will be impacted by changes to a web.config file. But if your farm has more than one web app, you'd have to update the web.config file for each web app's IIS site to make the changes universal to the farm.

John

MCITP and MCTS: SharePoint, Virtualization, Project Server 2007
    My books on Amazon: The SharePoint 2010 Disaster Recovery Guide and The SharePoint 2007 Disaster Recovery Guide.
    My blog: My Central Admin.
    • Marked as answer by Mari Bennett Thursday, August 18, 2011 5:28 PM
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 4:57 PM