"Unmountable Boot Volume", The Unsolved Mystery of the Disappearing HDD. RRS feed

• Question

• Ok i have a HP Pavilion DV6-6119wm Prod: QE069UA#ABA Original OS: Windows 7 Home Premium.  i have been working on this pile of irritating technology for over 2 weeks now. and what is about to follow is one weird mystery that i need to solve ASAP.

Customer wants upgraded to windows 10. all fine and dandy i have done hundreds of windows 10 installations and not an issue. 

... until now.  upon booting the windows 10 installer,  i get a error stating "We couldn't find any drives. To get a storage driver, click Load driver"  i say to my self "what in the world" now it runs windows 7 without any issues, so i grab my windows 7 installer. boot it up. sees the drive and every thing. so i do a in windows upgrade. all goes fine i get in put in a user name. all that it loads into windows 10.  reboot.  BSOD:  Unmountable Boot Volume it reboots into the "WINRE" environment with troubleshoot listed but not much in options. i can open cmd. so i do. i do a diskpart.  No drives found. 

so i boot into the windows 7 install USB and There is the drive. in all its glory. so i take the dang thing out of the laptop. hook it up via a usb adapter to my desktop i want to see what in tarnation is going on.  SMART shows no errors. all test perfect. there isn't even 1 reallocated sector. all partitions are accessible without any lag. so i take a image of the drive. and i completely clean it using diskpart's CLEAN command.   and it shows up in the windows 10 installer so i install it. (i am using the latest update available via the media creation tool) installs without an issue.  it ask for a key so i use the windows 7 key on the bottom. it installs without an issue. boots up installs a display driver via windows update... reboots.. and i think all is fine.  then it pops another driver and ask to reboot. all is fine.  so i have to leave for a while i let it set running.  i come in to a BSOD, Unmountable boot volume.  it was not connected to the network as i was just away for a short while so it couldn't be a update being installed and auto rebooting.  i have completely no idea why the drive is disappearing for windows 10 but shows up in windows 7, and shows up fine with connected to another PC (which is running windows 10) there is no new bios update, the partition is a MBR partition type.  I have reach my end. my customer is wanting it back. but i can't give it back in a unbootable condition.  i have tried everything i can think of. i have even reimaged my USB drives thinking it may have been corrupted. (using a new flash drive) but no change. if any of you have a inkling of what is going on, your assistance would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance. 
    Tuesday, December 24, 2019 4:14 AM

Answers

• You are trying to install on an MBR drive and in the past there were reports of problems with Win 10 doing that from a USB stick. If it has a UEFI BIOS why not use a UEFI drive, also is legacy mode enabled for MBR?

That is an old PC for which HP seem to provide only Windows 7 drivers. If you get it going what about all the other drivers?

• Marked as answer by D. Johns Wednesday, December 25, 2019 9:15 PM
    Tuesday, December 24, 2019 6:07 PM
  • Bugcheck ED is Unmountable Boot Volume.

Typically these are problematic drives.

SMART testing can display no problems with failed drives as SMART is an attempt to predict failure.

Required testing is long generic or long DST.

Perform the following tests:  (preferably both)

1) Sea Tools for Dos:    long generic > post images into the thread

https://www.sysnative.com/forums/threads/hard-drive-hdd-diagnostics-sea-tools-for-dos-ssd-test.4072/

2) HP UEFI hardware diagnostics:

https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/pc-diags.html

(create a flash drive > boot using F9 > run extensive loop until failure overnight > click esc in the AM > run component tests as needed > post images f the results into the thread

Please remember to vote and to mark the replies as answers if they help.

On the bottom of each post there is: 

Propose as answer = answered the question

On the left side of each post:  Vote = a helpful post

Tuesday, December 24, 2019 7:47 PM

All replies

• You are trying to install on an MBR drive and in the past there were reports of problems with Win 10 doing that from a USB stick. If it has a UEFI BIOS why not use a UEFI drive, also is legacy mode enabled for MBR?

That is an old PC for which HP seem to provide only Windows 7 drivers. If you get it going what about all the other drivers?

Tuesday, December 24, 2019 6:07 PM
  • Bugcheck ED is Unmountable Boot Volume.

Typically these are problematic drives.

SMART testing can display no problems with failed drives as SMART is an attempt to predict failure.

Required testing is long generic or long DST.

Perform the following tests:  (preferably both)

1) Sea Tools for Dos:    long generic > post images into the thread

https://www.sysnative.com/forums/threads/hard-drive-hdd-diagnostics-sea-tools-for-dos-ssd-test.4072/

2) HP UEFI hardware diagnostics:

https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/pc-diags.html

(create a flash drive > boot using F9 > run extensive loop until failure overnight > click esc in the AM > run component tests as needed > post images f the results into the thread

Please remember to vote and to mark the replies as answers if they help.

On the bottom of each post there is: 

Propose as answer = answered the question

On the left side of each post:  Vote = a helpful post

Tuesday, December 24, 2019 7:47 PM
  • the laptop has a normal BIOS it's not UEFI,  i have relayed to my customer the issue and they are just going to buy a new laptop. as for part 2 of your comment, i have came to the conclusion that this PC (while it's stats are more than capable of running windows 10) is not compatible software wise and therefore have restored the original image of the drive before i did the upgrading,   Rule 1, ALWAYS MAKE A BACKUP! and then back that up.  you never know when you will MUBAR it. 
    Wednesday, December 25, 2019 9:13 PM
  • when i first run the long DST test there was no errors. nor did smart show any errors,  however after reimaging the drive, (restoring it back to windows 7) Smart shows 10 uncorrectable sector errors. i have relayed this to my customer and they are going to buy a new laptop instead of repairing this one.  i have also came to the conclusion that it is not compatible with the bios on this system. 

Wednesday, December 25, 2019 9:15 PM
  • Nice progress.

Sometimes switching from HD to SSD can make a low cost backup computer.

However if a new computer is planned it clearly is the best option.

Wednesday, December 25, 2019 10:57 PM
  • yea no sense investing in something that is this old, and a PITA,  it's running seven just fine, just wish i could figure out what is making the HDD disappear for windows 10, in the 10+ years i have been doing this, this is the first time i have run into this issue. i have had countless installs fail. but none where the HDD ghost away on me.  the oddity of it. when i did the clean under diskpart, it showed up for windows 10 installer.  it was only after windows update had checked for updates that it "poofed" into hiding. i am not able to determine what was installed since it instantly reboots (as if it was a force reboot) and BSOD with the error of unmountable boot volume then reboots into a very lite version of winre, where every option except command prompt and reboot errors with an extremely long code that went off the screen. so i have deemed this PC a failure. and should more DV6 Entertainment models arrive in the future (pray they don't) will be on the "not fixable" list of machines 

Again. i want to take a moment to thank all of you and to wish you a very merry christmas and a happy new year. 

Thursday, December 26, 2019 6:56 AM