fully patched OS requires an old update RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

1. Windows 7 deployed from MDT. Image updated from Microsoft in August. I do check for updates from MS until there is NO updates. The machine is deployed in September and grabs approved Updates from WSUS at the end of deployment.

2. Last week batch of comps deployed from my MDT were delivered to remote site. The tech declares that when he connects comp from the batch to the network, he gets ONE update dated 2013. And this KB contains 46 hotfixes. So he makes a conclusion that computers not patched. I still don't have KB number for checking the info about it.

But to be sure... I deployed one pc. Connected to Internet and checked for updates. Two .net updates were found and one windows defender.

The question:

what could be the reason that the KB from 2013 pushed to pc from WSUS and the same KB doesn't appear from Microsoft Catalog?

Sure I have my guess... but would like to know the opinion or sure answer for the question.

Thx.

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

• Edited by pob579 Tuesday, October 10, 2017 1:04 PM
    Tuesday, October 10, 2017 12:54 PM

Answers

• Hi Sir,

>>what could be the reason that the KB from 2013 pushed to pc from WSUS and the same KB doesn't appear from Microsoft Catalog?

Not all updates are listed in windows update catalog .

>>I deployed one pc. Connected to Internet and checked for updates. Two .net updates were found and one windows defender.

>>The tech declares that when he connects comp from the batch to the network, he gets ONE update dated 2013.

"The tech" connected that computer to internet and downloaded updates from WSUS or MS update ?

If they configured that computer to download updates from their WSUS server , then , there might be an update which was manually (or 3rd party tool) imported to WSUS server (which doesn't listed in MS update catalog).

If it is possible , please get the KB number and post it here , I'd like to do some research .

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Elton_Ji Wednesday, October 11, 2017 8:09 AM
    • Marked as answer by pob579 Friday, October 13, 2017 7:13 PM
    Wednesday, October 11, 2017 8:08 AM

All replies

• Hi Sir,

>>what could be the reason that the KB from 2013 pushed to pc from WSUS and the same KB doesn't appear from Microsoft Catalog?

Not all updates are listed in windows update catalog .

>>I deployed one pc. Connected to Internet and checked for updates. Two .net updates were found and one windows defender.

>>The tech declares that when he connects comp from the batch to the network, he gets ONE update dated 2013.

"The tech" connected that computer to internet and downloaded updates from WSUS or MS update ?

If they configured that computer to download updates from their WSUS server , then , there might be an update which was manually (or 3rd party tool) imported to WSUS server (which doesn't listed in MS update catalog).

If it is possible , please get the KB number and post it here , I'd like to do some research .

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Elton_Ji Wednesday, October 11, 2017 8:09 AM
    • Marked as answer by pob579 Friday, October 13, 2017 7:13 PM
    Wednesday, October 11, 2017 8:08 AM
  • Elton,

thanks for the answers, I was waiting for KB in question...

Will have it next week...

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Friday, October 13, 2017 7:13 PM