none
SC Service Manager runbook questions

General discussion

• Hello All,

I'm trying to create a runbook that whenever an incident whith source "Portal" is updated sends me an email.

and

But it is not working, what am I doing wrong?

Can anybody help me?

Regards,

Monday, October 01, 2012 8:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Get Incidents will get the incidents that are fullfilling the filter, so all incidents in SCSM that have a source equals to Portal, that includes closed incidents too. A "Get" activity will run once, when you run the runbook. If you want it to run for example every 5 minutes you need to put a Scheduling activity in front of it, to trigger the runbook. But if you instead replace the Get Incident to a Monitor Object activity it will monitor Service Manager for a change that fullfill the filter and then trigger the rest of the runbook. So replace the Get Incident activity with a monitor object activity. Configure the Monitor Object activity to work with the Incident class and the filter you have in the image.

Anders Bengtsson | Microsoft PFE | blog at http://www.contoso.se

Monday, October 01, 2012 9:02 PM
    Answerer
  • Hello Anders,

My activitiy "Get Incidents" is an Monitor Object activity, but doesn't work.

When I sincronize my orchestrator connector in Service Manager I don't see this runbook, is this is expected?

Regards

Monday, October 01, 2012 9:29 PM
  • Only runbooks with an "Initialize Data" activity at the beginning are synced from Orchestrator to SCSM. So this runbook will never be synced to the SCSM. This is because only runbooks with "Initialize Data" activity can be triggered by a runbook activity in SCSM (for instance in a Service Request).

Andreas Baumgarten | H&D International Group

Monday, October 01, 2012 10:19 PM
  • Couple of comments that may help. 

The way you have the initial activity configured, it is only going to respond to existing incidents that are updated.  It will not fire on new incidents.  Not sure if that's the behavior you're going for or not.

We need some more information to determine where this isn't working.  The question is if the runbook never fires at all, or if it is running but isn't sending the mail as you are expecting.  Have a look at the Log and Log History for the runbook.  If there is no entry, then the runbook isn't firing at all.  If there is, then you should be able to get some information as to what might be going wrong.  You can view the logs from the bottom pane of the Runbook Designer when the runbook is selected.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of attachments are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Tuesday, October 02, 2012 1:31 AM
  • Hello Brian

Thanks for the response, tyes his is the behavior I'm waiting.

The runbook never fires at all,  in log History has noinformation:(

this runbook does not have to be placed in a special place?

I have another runbook associated with a service request and is working well.

Thanks for the response

Tuesday, October 02, 2012 7:43 AM
  • Hi,

there are two different interfaces for Service Manger and Orchestrator (of course you can combine them).

1. In Service Manager in Administration you can define a Connector for Orchestrator. Which will connected to the Orchestrator Webservice (http://<OrchestratorWebServer>:81/Orchestrator2012/Orchestrator.svc/). In this connector you specify a sync folder (or all Runbooks), where Service Manager can trigger Runbooks with a "Runbook Automation Activity".

2. You use the Integration Pack for Service Manager here (regarding to you first post in this thread). With this IP Orchestrator triggers Service Manager. So, this Runbook looks with the "Monitor Object" Activity for updated Incidents from Source Portal if its started.

• The Runbook starting with the "Monitor Object" Activity  must be started to recognize updates to the Incidents from source Portal. Is this Runbook Started? Do you see a Running Instance in the Log if the Runbook is selected?
    • Can you start a Runbook with the "Get Object" Activity (Class: Incident, Filter: Source = Portal") and check if you have such Incidents. If the "Monitor Object" Activity is started and you update such an Incident. This Monitor doesn't trigger? Any Errors in Tab Events at this time?

Regards,

Stefan

German Orchestrator Portal , My blog in English

Tuesday, October 02, 2012 8:10 AM
    Answerer
  • Hello,

Thanks for your help, I achived create and run my runbook.

Thanks for all the support.

Tuesday, October 09, 2012 9:30 PM
  • Hi,

We are trying to create a Monitor Object in Orchestrator runbook. However, the synced from Orchestrator to SCSM is not working.  You indicated that you have achieved such task. Could you share with us?

Thank you!

Monday, March 13, 2017 2:11 PM
  • Only Runbooks with "Initialize Data" Activities are synced to SCSM. Runbooks with Monitor Actvitiies aren't synced. This is not a bug but normal. The reason behind: With an "Initialize Data"und Activity you are able to parse different parameters and values from SCSM in a Runbook. This is not possible with a "Monitor " Activity at all. Hope this helps.

Monday, March 13, 2017 3:26 PM
  • Andreas,

If we use the runbooks to check for new incident with affected Service printing then populate the support group with Hardware Support Team.  How do you do it in runbook? Do you have any documentation that you can share for accomplish such task?

Thank you

Monday, March 13, 2017 10:19 PM
  • You have three options to start a runbook:

With a Schedule activity -> The Schedule activity will start a runbook based on the configured time values -> Runbooks with a Scheduler activity will not be synced in SCSM -> SCSM can't start/trigger these Runbooks anyway.

With a Monitor activity -> Orchestrator will take care for this and will start the Runbook based on the criteria of the monitor activity -> Runbooks with a Monitor activity will not be synced in SCS -> SCSM can't start/trigger these Runbooks.

With a Initilze Data activity -> These Runbooks will be synced in SCSM. In SCSM you have to create a "Runbook Activity Template". In this template you can configure the property/properties SCSM will send to the Runbook in Orchestrator and the Runbook will be executed.

Maybe this TechNet article is helpful:

Using Runbooks in System Center 2012 - Service Manager

Monday, March 13, 2017 10:46 PM
  • We created a Monitor object that is to monitor the incident class.  The Monitor object has no filters and the New and update options were checked.

1. Checked in the Runbook, then click on Run in the SCO Runbook Designer.

2.  Created a new incident, the runbook monitor object is suppose to fire up, but it got hang up in the Monitor object.  Can you help?

Thank you!

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 9:44 PM