Access Denied RRS feed

• Question

• I am a novice network administrator.

The file share folder is located on a Windows XP Pro machine with office 2003 - 2007 compatability pack installed and machine is fully up to date. "C:\Public$"

I have tried both simple file sharing and with permissions set for everyone to have full access.

There are XP Pro - Office 2010, W7 - Office 2010 machines attached to the file share.

They can open the majority of the files.  Some excel files cannot be opened.  We receive an "Access Denied" contact administrator error.  The same files are not accessible on any of the other machines, but can be opened on the file share machine.

I can transfer those files to a machine that is outside of the network (via logmein file transfer).  I can open the file in Office 2007 and do a save as with the file, then transfer back.  Then the machines can open the file??

I thought I would just identify which files where having the problem thinking they were somehow corrupted.  I performed a system backup to one of the other network machines and, of course, I received an error report of the files that could not be backed up due to "Access Denied".

I then performed the save as and those files were able to be opened.  Then I ran the back up again and received an entirely different list of "Access Denied" files (files that were able to be opened before).

I am at a loss as to what is happening.  I have added the network location as a trusted location in Office 2010.  Any assistanc would be appreciated.

Sunday, February 19, 2012 5:05 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Have you used some features like disk quotas to limit the usage of disk space? If so, try to cancel it.

Since the documents can be opened on the machine that is outside of the network, I would suggest removing the inherited parent permissions from a single file, then add everyone permission only to test.

Note: Before you remove the inherited parent permissions, make a backup of your file.

Sincerely
    Rex Zhang

Rex Zhang

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Rex Zhang Monday, February 27, 2012 1:26 AM
    Monday, February 20, 2012 6:56 AM