Reverse DNS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

Is it possible to configure reverse dns in windows so that if i ping an ip, it should ping the hostname. For Example,

ping 192.168.100.1

should actually got o www.yahoo.com

Thanks.

Sunday, July 24, 2011 9:28 PM

Answers

• I have an application that needs to connect to a device on the internet that has a dynamic ip and there is no way in the application to use a host name like mydevice.dyndns.org.

Dynamic DNS was created to address this very issued, but your stating your application doesn't support host names only IP Addresses.  So the only solution is to configure a static IP Address on the device or configure a DHCP reservation to force a static IP via DHCP.

I need to do something in windows that when the application pings a fake ip address like 192.168.100.1, the system should actually ping mydevice.dyndns.org on the internet.

To the best of my knowledge this is simply not possible, reverse DNS doesn't do this, and no other DNS functionality provides this service.

-----

I would work with the vendor of the application to see what they say, this is very weird.  THe only solution is to work with the vendor at this point, or attempt one of the suggested workarounds using static IPs.

Monday, July 25, 2011 6:29 PM

All replies

• What you are refering to is reverse DNS lookups.  These are special DNS zones ending in in-addr.arpa.  The problem is they are typically only used inside a busines network, but many administrators fail to set them up, and they are not widely used on internet at all.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc784493(WS.10).aspx

On a coprorate network, there are two command you can use to perform a reverse lookup, and providing you have setup the in-addr.arpa zones and assicated PTR records, they will work very well.

ping -a 10.1.1.1

if properly configured would result

Pinging host.domain.com [10.1.1.1] with 32 bytes of data:

or

nslookup 10.1.1.1

would return simlar results as PING -a

Sunday, July 24, 2011 10:02 PM
  • Hi,

DNS  provides a reverse lookup process, enabling clients to use a known IP address during a name query and look up a computer name based on its address. A reverse lookup takes the form of a question, such as "Can you tell me the DNS name of the computer that uses the IP address 192.168.1.20?"

DNS was not originally designed to support this type of query. One problem for supporting the reverse query process is the difference in how the DNS namespace organizes and indexes names and how IP addresses are assigned. If the only method to answer the previous question was to search in all domains in the DNS namespace, a reverse query would take too long and require too much processing to be useful.

To solve this problem, a special domain, the in-addr.arpa domain, was defined in the DNS standards and reserved in the Internet DNS namespace to provide a practical and reliable way to perform reverse queries. To create the reverse namespace, subdomains within the in-addr.arpa domain are formed using the reverse ordering of the numbers in the dotted-decimal notation of IP addresses.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc784493(WS.10).aspx

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, July 25, 2011 2:21 AM
  • Thanks for the replies. My problem is a little different. I have an application that needs to connect to a device on the internet that has a dynamic ip and there is no way in the application to use a host name like mydevice.dyndns.org. I need to do something in windows that when the application pings a fake ip address like 192.168.100.1, the system should actually ping mydevice.dyndns.org on the internet.

It is a domain connected pc. Is it possible to do it in my internal DNS Server?

Thanks.

Monday, July 25, 2011 7:20 AM
  • You could create a reverse zone PTR entyry for whatever IP you want and put in whatever name you want.

Or you can use a third party tool such as DynIP for dynamic IPs on the internet so it always has a name that you can use and will check if the IP changes.

Ace

Ace Fekay
    MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007 & Exchange 2010, Exchange 2010 Enterprise Administrator, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
    Microsoft Certified Trainer
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    Complete List of Technical Blogs: http://www.delawarecountycomputerconsulting.com/technicalblogs.php

This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Monday, July 25, 2011 5:58 PM
  • I have an application that needs to connect to a device on the internet that has a dynamic ip and there is no way in the application to use a host name like mydevice.dyndns.org.

Dynamic DNS was created to address this very issued, but your stating your application doesn't support host names only IP Addresses.  So the only solution is to configure a static IP Address on the device or configure a DHCP reservation to force a static IP via DHCP.

I need to do something in windows that when the application pings a fake ip address like 192.168.100.1, the system should actually ping mydevice.dyndns.org on the internet.

To the best of my knowledge this is simply not possible, reverse DNS doesn't do this, and no other DNS functionality provides this service.

-----

I would work with the vendor of the application to see what they say, this is very weird.  THe only solution is to work with the vendor at this point, or attempt one of the suggested workarounds using static IPs.

Monday, July 25, 2011 6:29 PM