none
Can't disable UAC token filtering, or run Explorer elevated RRS feed

• Question

• I am an IT pro that occasionally needs full access to the desktop OS without UAC getting in my way.

However, on Windows 10 it appears to be nearly impossible to do this, even with an account that is a member of the Administrators group.

With Windows 7 it is possible to run Explorer elevated with UAC enabled: Run task manager, view all processes, approve task manager elevation, terminate Explorer process, run Explorer elevated. 

On Windows 10 this does not work. Ctrl-Shift-click on taskbar, Exit explorer, Task Manager, Run explorer elevated..... but it isn't. Can't open C:\user profiles without getting "You don't have permission..."

And turning off UAC does not disable token filtering on Windows 10. Open UAC, select don't notify, restart, logon with Administrators group member, open a C:\user profile, and.... "You don't have permission..."

Fortunately I do know an elevated GUI file browser workaround for this, and this does still work on Windows 10, though this is a hassle and it only allows selecting one file/folder at a time because it's an Open/Save dialog for Notepad:

1. Start, type Notepad
    2. Right click on Notepad, Run as Administrator
    3. File menu, Open
    4. View by file type: all files
    5. Browse into C:\users, right-click on a protected user account, and choose Copy
    6. In an open non-UAC Explorer folder destination, right-click and choose Paste
    7. Copy succeeds with UAC enabled and as an Administrators group member

Apparently on Windows 10, Microsoft has made it really difficult for IT admins to remove the training wheels and baby diapers, when we need to get some real support work done using an elevated Explorer shell.

Saturday, July 30, 2016 12:31 PM

Answers

• Hi Dale Mahalko,

What is the main purpose?
    "I am an IT pro that occasionally needs full access to the desktop OS without UAC getting in my way."
    It is not recommended to disable the UAC, it will decrease the system security. The Store will be disabled if the UAC is disabled. It is not recommended disable the UAC.

"On Windows 10 this does not work. Ctrl-Shift-click on taskbar, Exit explorer, Task Manager, Run explorer elevated..... but it isn't. Can't open C:\user profiles without getting "You don't have permission...""
    You mean it is not available to do this with UAC enabled?
    I have tried to test on my side. I didn`t get any popup.
    You may try to configure the UAC behavior with the following gpo.
    Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options\User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode

If I have misunderstood the issue, please feel free to let me know that.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, August 2, 2016 6:59 AM