Why do Pinned task-bar items "float" to other locations on the task-bar? RRS feed

• Question

• I have 6 items "pinned" to my start bar. But after a while those pinned icons float to other areas on the taskbar.  I have the following settings:

-Lock the taskbar set
    -Auto-hide the taskbar (unset)
    -Use small icons (set)

-Taskbar location on screen: bottom
    -Taskbar buttons: Combine when taskbar is full

-Use Aero Peek to preview the desktop

How can I prevent pinned icons from floating to other areas on the taskbar?

--Jeremy Moskowitz, Group Policy MVP
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 9:03 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I guess that you mean that the icons get disordered with several windows open, is it? Generally, this behavior happens because the regardless of whether the program is not running, running with one window or running with several windows is put in Windows 7. Icons for running, not running windows are positioned in the same taskbar area. When you select "Combine when taskbar is full", icons on Taskbar become dynamic so as to make good use of taskbar area. For your requirements, you don't want pinned icons floating on the taskbar. I would like to propose the following two work arounds:

Method 1
    ======

Just choose "Always combine, hide labels" in taskbar settings. By this way the icons can be fixed on the taskbar except you manually drag them, however, the same windows combine together with overlay icons.

Method 2
    ======

Change back to Windows Vista apperance, roll back the quick launch box. To do this, please take the following steps:

1.Right-click the taskbar, point to Toolbars, and then click New Toolbar.
    2.In the New Toolbar dialog box, in the Folder text box, type the following text string, and then click OK.

%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

3.Right-click the taskbar and click to disable the Lock the Taskbar setting.
    4.On the taskbar, right-click on divider. Make sure that the Show Text and Show Title settings are disabled, and that the view is set to Small Icons.
    5.Use the dividers to rearrange the order of the toolbar items as desired. When you are finished, right-click the taskbar and click to re-enable the Lock the Taskbar setting.
    7.Select " Combine when taskbar is full" in the taskbar properties.

If I misunderstand anything, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards
    Dale Qiao

• Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Monday, September 7, 2009 1:18 AM
    Friday, September 4, 2009 6:18 AM