What is the fast way to find the cause of account locked out? RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Server Expert,

may i know what will be the best way to find the account locked out cause in our Windows Server 2008 R2 environment? currently our Domain Admins account that used to administer server get locked out quite frequently. I am running the Locked Out Status tool from microsoft that will tell me from which AD the account get locked out and trace from there. but there are too much even viewer to review and some of the event viewer don't really give enough info such as where is the workstation cause locked out, etc.Or maybe i don't know how is the correct way to use this tool.

Please advise on this.

Thanks

Wednesday, March 9, 2016 1:29 AM

Answers

• Hi Henry,

You could acquire information about a locked out account by LockoutStatus.exe. It does this by gathering account lockout-specific information from Active Directory.

For detailed information, you could refer to the article below.

Account Lockout Tools

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc738772(v=ws.10).aspx

but there are too much even viewer to review and some of the event viewer don't really give enough info such as where is the workstation cause locked out, etc.Or maybe i don't know how is the correct way to use this tool.

>>>You could acquire information what you need by filtering current log.

Here is an article below about how to troubleshoot account lockout for your reference.

Troubleshooting Account Lockout

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc773155(v=ws.10).aspx

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Jay Gu Friday, March 25, 2016 8:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by Amy Wang_ Monday, March 28, 2016 6:54 AM
    Wednesday, March 9, 2016 6:14 AM