"Share your desktop" displays a black screen in Skype for Business RRS feed

• Question

•  recently updated to Skype for Business 2019 (part of upgrading to Office 2019 - not O365).

Since then when I share my screen/desktop with others, all they can see is a black screen.

One other user who also upgraded to O365 2019 Skype for Business has the same issue.

I found this article

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/skypeforbusiness/troubleshoot/online-conferencing/sharing-display-black-screen

but what is mentioned in the article even though it is recent (a week ago) states only Windows 7 or versions not applicable to me.

Office 2019 Pro

Skype for Business 2019 MSO (16.0.10344.20008) 64-bit.

Anyone else facing this problem?

Friday, May 24, 2019 6:57 PM

Answers

• Hi gana2k2,

Based on my research, this issue may be occurred as Video-Based Screen-Sharing(VBSS) feature, please try to disable VBSS, and then enable Microsoft Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP)-based screen sharing. To do this, make the following change in the registry:
    Registry location:HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Lync
    DWord name: EnableP2PScreenSharingOverVideo
    Value data: 0

Additionally, if you use the 32-bit version of Skype for Business 2016 on a 64-bit operating system, add the following subkey:
    Registry location:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Lync
    Value data: 00000000

Details about this you could also refer to the similar issue

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by woshixiaobai Tuesday, May 28, 2019 2:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by gana2k2 Thursday, May 30, 2019 12:10 PM
    Monday, May 27, 2019 2:49 AM
  • Hi gana2k2,

Based on my test in my environment, the registry keys should be same between SFB 2016 and 2019, please try to make the changes in the registry.

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, May 29, 2019 7:13 AM

All replies

• Hi gana2k2,

Based on my research, this issue may be occurred as Video-Based Screen-Sharing(VBSS) feature, please try to disable VBSS, and then enable Microsoft Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP)-based screen sharing. To do this, make the following change in the registry:
    Registry location:HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Lync
    Value data: 0

Additionally, if you use the 32-bit version of Skype for Business 2016 on a 64-bit operating system, add the following subkey:
    Registry location:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Lync
    Value data: 00000000

Details about this you could also refer to the similar issue

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

• Proposed as answer by woshixiaobai Tuesday, May 28, 2019 2:17 AM
    Monday, May 27, 2019 2:49 AM
  • Thank you so much for your response.  I already came across that article and not sure what the relevant registry keys I need to change for Skype for Business 2019.  All the previous links that I found had to do with Windows 10 or previous versions of Office.

Is the registry keys the same for Office 2019 and Skype for Business 2019?

Thanks

-Gan

Tuesday, May 28, 2019 4:32 PM
  • Hi gana2k2,

Based on my test in my environment, the registry keys should be same between SFB 2016 and 2019, please try to make the changes in the registry.

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Wednesday, May 29, 2019 7:13 AM
  • Hi gana2k2,

Is there any update for this issue? If the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, it will help others who have the similar issue.

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Thursday, May 30, 2019 8:13 AM
  • Evan

Thanks for the instructions.  I applied the registry settings and am now able to get around the black screen problem during sharing.  Thanks for helping.

On a separate topic, is Microsoft going to fix this issue?  Based on all the links that I researched and what you also provided, looks to be a systemic issue with Skype for Business.  Is there a fix in the works?

How do i open a bug with Microsoft on this?  We would like to deploy to 100s of users in our organization and want to avoid extra configuration if we can avoid it.

Thanks

-Gan

Thursday, May 30, 2019 12:10 PM