Slow booting with black screen after Welcome screen RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello everyone! I’m falling into a common problem: slow booting. I have tried a lot of ways to fix it and nothing works.

In more detail, problem is my Windows 7 boots slowly, not very, but quite slowly than normal (other computers similar hardware), and the booting usually (I should say almost everytime) has a black screen after Welcome screen. My PC is Asus K55A (i5 3230, HD  4000). I have run into this kind of problem since I first buy the PC. Reinstalling OS doesn’t help, now I guess, I have reinstalled about 5 times. Hardware problems, don’t say that, continue reading.

Solutions I have tried: remove start-up items, update windows and drivers (actually newest drivers make more slow, so I just use driver from my manufacture, Asus), uninstall programs (yeah, just what isn’t important), defrag the disk (manually and scheduled), run sfc /scannow (of course it isn’t necessary but I have to do by what people say, this tool doesn’t help when my OS is new and it’s up-to-date, and I use it carefully), and what more?

To investigate the booting more carefully, I installed second Windows 7 on D partition. In second Windows 7, I tried to install everything like first main Win 7 and can you guess, this second one boots faster, smoother and have higher benchmark score. However, the second Win 7 was installed long time ago (around the time I reinstalled first main Win 7 two times), and just recently, I have time to investigate my two Win 7, so I forget what I did on second Win 7. What I can do now is try to remove everything in second Win 7 (actually, I use it to run other big softwares like photoshop, after effect), and make it similar to the first one. Now, both of OS-es have the same drivers version, same kinds of softwares. Except one thing, I usually update for first Win 7, but not for second one. Maybe something else different but now I only figure that.

That sounds silly when on them same PC, you get two different results. Thinking for a long time I realize that the Win 7.1 (now I call the first  7.1 to make it easy for you to follow, second is 7.2), has more personal data on main user folder (C:\Users\name of account), including data on Downloads folder, Document folder, Music and Videos folders. I guess maybe the Avast (I use Avast for antivirus software on both OSes) scan my data on booting so that makes the 7.1 slower. So I move those folders to other location on the same C partition. In fact, the D partition has much more data than C partition, but DATA on C is outside of Users folder. My result doesn’t change, 7.1 is still slower. To visualize it, I have these 2 videos. The race 1 is from a couple months ago when I have a thread on sevenforum but nobody can fix it, I have just reuploaded it, and the race 2 is new. On race 1 you can see the black screen after Welcome screen. On race 2, this doesn’t happen, but slow booting still does, and the desktop icons delay to appear (some seconds). Remember to compare the 7.2.  Also, you can see the most longest phase is Welcome screen.

Race 1: youtube.com/watch?v=5iANxBH4Q4M

Race 2: youtube.com/watch?v=LKrB_shOpNE

Though data on Users folder isn’t exact root cause, I still think about Avast, because 7.1 had the issue black screen after Welcome screen just right after I installed Avast. It’s very clear that Avast causes the problem, but Win 7.2 doesn’t boot slowly because of Avast. Oh what the hell is going on? L Then, I try to stop Avast realtime protection and set-up Avast “Load Avast services only after loading other system services” (Avast has the function to load it after load system services). OMG, slow booting, especially very long Welcome screen still happens. The black screen phenomenon occurs fewer, but it’s still on other startings.

Now I can conclude for you a little bit.

Problem: Slow booting, especially on Welcome screen, after welcome screen, the desktop icon appears slowly, sometimes black screen happens.

Common solutions don’t help.

First Win 7 (7.1) and second (7.2) are similar. Users folder on both OSes don’t contain a lot of data (just data on AppData folder). Win 7.1 is up-to-date, Win 7.2 isn’t (Except Internet Explore 11).

Maybe Avast causes problem on 7.1, but doesn’t on 7.2

That sounds not related to the content on the forum. Going around the Internet I found Windows Perfomance Analyzer from Microsoft so I read articles about it. I have two trace files for 7.1 and 7.2 bootings. After analyzing it a little bit, I found Avast service uses more CPU on 7.1, and less on 7.2, especially on the phase ExplorerInit. But I don’t have much knowledge to investigate more. So I go to this forum to ask people for help. I have the trace file and upload for you to discover. I know this post is long but I have basic knowledge about Windows so I say everything I do to find out the problem. I know other people have the same problem with me. Hope you will spend time reading this carefully to help me. Thank you!

drive.google.com/file/d/0B13Oho_TxjrGbVpWTDNrSFFMTzA/view?usp=sharing

Sunday, April 2, 2017 10:40 AM

All replies

• If you have any external hard drives or memory sticks plugged in, try unplugging them and starting. My system used to start up just fine and then it started disliking having drives plugged in. Would make it to the windows symbol then black screen for 5-10 mins.

Please Mark it as Answered if it answered your question OR mark it as Helpful if it help you to solve your problem.

Sunday, April 2, 2017 1:06 PM
  • Check Out this Link

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/927392/use-bootrec.exe-in-the-windows-re-to-troubleshoot-startup-issues

Please Mark it as Answered if it answered your question OR mark it as Helpful if it help you to solve your problem.

Sunday, April 2, 2017 1:08 PM
  • 1.  Power on and enter boot menu (tapping F2 immediately when computer starts or whichever button your system uses to enter boot setup).

2. Navigate to the setup screen where Intel® AT Support System is found.

3. Disable both Intel® AT Support System and Intel® AT Suspend.

4. Save Changes and Exit

After doing the above, my system rebooted to the login screen (with no noticeable delay), and more importantly, after I entered my windows password, my desktop loaded within just a couple of seconds-as fast as it did when I first bought the computer!

I hope this helps!

Sunday, April 2, 2017 1:12 PM
  • I don't use any memory sticks or external hard drives. By the way thanks for your tip! 
    Sunday, April 2, 2017 3:37 PM
  • do you mean AT is Anti Theft technology? My laptop just has Anti Theft technology option and I have no idea how it works, reading article on Intel site is a bit difficult to understand.

I have tried it but AT suspend is disabled by default. Disable AT technology doesn't make any change.

Sunday, April 2, 2017 3:39 PM
  • Hi,

I noticed there are many third party services during the boot process. Please check the symptom in a clean boot environment.
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

According to your upload file, I noticed “FontCache 3.0.0.0 start” takes almost 20 seconds to start up in the “Service” startup process on first Windows 7.

We could try to delay or disable Windows Font cache service as the following capture in “Service” panel , then check the symptom again.

Best regards,
    Joy.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Joy-Qiao Wednesday, May 3, 2017 1:35 AM
    Tuesday, April 4, 2017 3:11 AM
  • Thanks for your new idea! However, I can't set that service to delayed. I get the message: 

"The Delayed auto-start flag could not be set."
    "Error 87: The parameter is incorrect."

So I disable it, and the symptom seems to happen again. I recorded this trace because the black screen lasted longer.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B13Oho_TxjrGbWJBaDVKeTNla0E/view?usp=sharing

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwRTVBHNJTc

Tuesday, April 4, 2017 9:12 AM
  • Hi,

Did you perform a clean boot? Try to perform a clean boot, it would not add any third party drivers and software to affect your boot speed.
    As the capture shows, third party software “AvastSvc.exe” and service “avastui.exe” take a long time to start up. We may consider to uninstall this third party antivirus software.

Best regards,
    Joy.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Joy-Qiao Wednesday, May 3, 2017 1:35 AM
    Friday, April 14, 2017 8:54 AM
  • The trace file I gave on "April 04, 2017 9:12 AM" post is clean boot.. The clean boot can't disable avast service, when I try to disable it manually, it says "access is denied". It's very clear that avast causes that, but compare with the trace file of second windows 7 (I give on drive link), it seems like Avast doesn't make boot slow. That makes me very wondering.

Sunday, April 16, 2017 8:56 AM
  • Hello! Thanks for your attention to my post. Obviously, after uninstalling Avast, everything seems okay now. My PC boots fast without no black screen delay. I can say that the problem is solved now. Just a small thing, I can't even explain why Avast doesn't cause it on my second Windows 7.

Though what it is, identifying exact problem and solution is the most important thing point. Thank you again! 

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 2:54 PM