Unable to start User Profile Sync Service RRS feed

• Question

• I have been struggling to find the answer to this problem. I have followed numerous articles including the Definitive article everyone seems to mention. Mt issue is that the User Profile Sync is stuck on Starting everytime i try and start the application. I have deleted and tried creating a new one, i have tried restarting IIS after cretating the application, i have checked all permmission on the service running the application, and in the logs i recieve the following below:

User Profile Application Proxy failed to retrieve partitions from User Profile Application: Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.UserProfileApplicationNotAvailableException: No User Profile Application available to service the request. Contact your farm administrator.     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.UserProfileApplicationProxy.get_ApplicationProperties()     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.UserProfileApplicationProxy.get_PartitionIDs()     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.UserProfileApplicationProxy.IsAvailable(SPServiceContext serviceContext)

I am desperate for some help on this.

Friday, January 20, 2012 7:09 PM

Answers

• I am assuming you are referring to Spence Harbar's article?  http://www.harbar.net/articles/sp2010ups.aspx

If you followed Spence's guide it should work however, UPA can be quirkly.  Here are some unique steps that have worked for me in the past.

1. Verify default scheme on the sync datbase is set to dbo for the farm account

2. Make sure the farm account has "log on locally" permissions on the server

3. Log in to central admin as farm account when starting the service, if starting via powershell, log into server as the farm account

If none of the above work- Make sure you have the latest updates and cu's installed- there are some know user profiles service & update issues that are resolved via the latest cu's.

Please click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you.
    • Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Thursday, January 26, 2012 10:11 AM
    Friday, January 20, 2012 8:49 PM

All replies

• Actually, this question is asked manytimes with everything possible, and it seems to be a buggy thing in SharePoint 2010. I solved it once by updating some SQL SPs, and other time by recreating it again.

Good luck

Friday, January 20, 2012 7:49 PM
  • Could you raise logging to verbose and share the log?

thanks,

Mayank Malik
    • Proposed as answer by Manaz Mohideen Saturday, January 21, 2012 3:15 AM
    Friday, January 20, 2012 8:14 PM
  • I am assuming you are referring to Spence Harbar's article?  http://www.harbar.net/articles/sp2010ups.aspx

If you followed Spence's guide it should work however, UPA can be quirkly.  Here are some unique steps that have worked for me in the past.

1. Verify default scheme on the sync datbase is set to dbo for the farm account

2. Make sure the farm account has "log on locally" permissions on the server

3. Log in to central admin as farm account when starting the service, if starting via powershell, log into server as the farm account

If none of the above work- Make sure you have the latest updates and cu's installed- there are some know user profiles service & update issues that are resolved via the latest cu's.

Please click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you.
    • Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Thursday, January 26, 2012 10:11 AM
    Friday, January 20, 2012 8:49 PM
  • Thanks Guys, i will try again today and send you feedback. I have checked the additional permissions from Brandi and they are all good. So i will try again.
    Monday, January 23, 2012 4:31 PM
  • Did you have any luck?  What version are you running?  At this point you may want to start looking into an update issue and consider installing the latest CU.
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 3:50 PM