none
update iTunes without MS account RRS feed

• Question

• I just spent two hours with Apple Care without any solution. I have iPhone users on WinX PCs and need to update iTunes. I've been doing this for years now and it used to be simple. It seems MS and Apple have a new agreement and all iTunes must now be sourced from the MS Store or you get an "invalid signature" and process termination of the install.

Our county government does not allow data mining of any kind. Thus MS Accounts are forbidden to prevent data mining. All of our accounts are domain accounts and a few workgroup PCs. None of our PCs have MS accounts.

Going with Apple Care on screen sharing, we demonstrated that it is not possible to download the installer to a share drive in order to install it on many PCs.

How do I update iTunes on hundreds of PCs without violating our security policy?

Thanks,

KA

Tuesday, February 5, 2019 7:12 PM

Answers

• MotoX80,

When using a MS OS on the iTunes.com site, we are redirected to the Windows Store. Apple assured me that is by design, per an agreement between the two folks. I doubt Apple considered how MS would allow a direct install only after attempting to trick the inexperienced folks into using a MS Account.

I was able to obtain a single download from the MS Store, but only after paying very close attention and avoiding at least three attempts to trick me into submission.

I do not yet have a downloaded copy to put on a network share for easy installation. This new method will force me to navigate the tricky mine field for each and every update on about 50 iPhone users. This takes much longer than simply using the standard download option directly on the iTunes site.

These are all tricks to get inexperienced folks to allow data mining of their PC by the MS Account logins. The goal is not to make it easy for folks. The new goal is to data mine more PCs. The problem is nothing is truly free any longer. Every free thing is paid for behind the scene by revenue generated by selling your data, should you agree to use the "FREE" thing.

This is why our county government does not allow any cloud services, due to data mining.

I hope that once all the Apple sourced installers have been replaced with MS vintage installers, the native iTunes "check for updates" will return to normal service. Perhaps they will continue to force us to the MS Store and avoid the mine fields. Apple updates at least once a month and sometimes more. That is a lot of potential victims.

I'm attaching an image of a similar trick that attempts to get the user to sign in via MS account. Pay attention and slow down to avoid getting tricked.

• Marked as answer by Swain IT Tuesday, February 12, 2019 4:39 PM
    • Edited by Swain IT Tuesday, February 12, 2019 5:59 PM add evidence of trickery
    Tuesday, February 12, 2019 4:39 PM

All replies

• It would seem to me that there should be an easier way to do this, but this is what I found. Hopefully someone else knows of a better way. 

https://superuser.com/questions/501699/install-windows-store-apps-from-the-command-line

You could probably achieve this programatically with the follwing three steps :

1. Download the appx file. Seems to be quite complicated to fully automate
    2. Enable side loading adding the dword AllowAllTrustedApps=1 to the key HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModelUnlock
    3. Use "add-appxpackage C:\path-to-app.appx"

Also, you don't need an MS account to install from the store. So your users could do it themselves. 

https://www.intowindows.com/install-apps-from-windows-10-store-without-a-microsoft-account/

Tuesday, February 5, 2019 8:50 PM
  • Hi,

Please update iTunes by the following steps:

1. Open iTunes.

2. From the menu bar at the top of the iTunes window, choose Help > Check for Updates.

3. Follow the prompts to install the latest version.

Meanwhile, you can refer to the following link:

Having problems syncing your music to the cloud? Here’s how to update iTunes

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-update-itunes/

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

Hope these are helpful.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 6, 2019 3:15 AM
  • Apple Care confirmed with me that the normal iTunes update is broken at this time. Attempting to obtain iTunes from any location other than MS will result in a dialog citing "invalid signature".

Perhaps after all of the Apple sourced version instances are replaced with MS sourced installers, Apple will withdraw the false "errors". So, for now we must get the first MS sourced installer only from MS.

I did see with much effort that yes, it is possible to get the download without logging into a MS account. You must pay attention with eyes wide open as they attempt no less than 3 times to trick the user into allowing MS to data mine your system. I am shocked and Apple Care was also shocked as we witnessed this together.

I recommended to Apple Care that they create an ftp site for folks who need an installer to put on an internal share drive allowing quick deployment to our iTunes users. In my case that is about 50 users. I don't have time for nonsense attempting to defend our domain from unnecessary tricky and immoral means at attempted data mining. I am shocked that Apple would risk their business on such a shady and underhanded scheme.

I told Apple if they do not fix this I will move all our users over to Androids. We take privacy and security seriously here in our tiny county government.

KA

Wednesday, February 6, 2019 6:20 PM
  • I forgot to add that MS Store application does not download the installer in a normal way. It is not possible to save the installer, to the best of my knowledge. In my case that means I must go to the MS Store on all 50 PC and remember not to fall for the data mining tricks. Just say no to data mining. It is evil.

KA

Wednesday, February 6, 2019 6:25 PM
  • Did you read the link that I provided that shows how to use Fiddler to capture the download link? Granted it's an ugly solution, but according to that users's post it works. 
    Wednesday, February 6, 2019 11:50 PM
  • It would seem that this is another solution. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-store/microsoft-store-for-business-overview#how-does-the-store-for-business-and-education-work

Do you have an Office 365 account? I have not used this software and don't understand the Azure AD requirement. Perhaps someone else with experience with the Microsoft Store For Business could share their experience. 

Wednesday, February 6, 2019 11:54 PM
  • Go Apple's download page and scroll down to "Looking for other versions". Click on Windows. Then scroll back up and download the 32 or 64 bit flavor.

• Proposed as answer by MotoX80 Wednesday, February 13, 2019 5:01 PM
    Thursday, February 7, 2019 1:18 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue solved?

If yes, would you like to share your solution in order that other community members could find the helpful reply quickly.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 11, 2019 7:14 AM
  • MotoX80,

When using a MS OS on the iTunes.com site, we are redirected to the Windows Store. Apple assured me that is by design, per an agreement between the two folks. I doubt Apple considered how MS would allow a direct install only after attempting to trick the inexperienced folks into using a MS Account.

I was able to obtain a single download from the MS Store, but only after paying very close attention and avoiding at least three attempts to trick me into submission.

I do not yet have a downloaded copy to put on a network share for easy installation. This new method will force me to navigate the tricky mine field for each and every update on about 50 iPhone users. This takes much longer than simply using the standard download option directly on the iTunes site.

These are all tricks to get inexperienced folks to allow data mining of their PC by the MS Account logins. The goal is not to make it easy for folks. The new goal is to data mine more PCs. The problem is nothing is truly free any longer. Every free thing is paid for behind the scene by revenue generated by selling your data, should you agree to use the "FREE" thing.

This is why our county government does not allow any cloud services, due to data mining.

I hope that once all the Apple sourced installers have been replaced with MS vintage installers, the native iTunes "check for updates" will return to normal service. Perhaps they will continue to force us to the MS Store and avoid the mine fields. Apple updates at least once a month and sometimes more. That is a lot of potential victims.

I'm attaching an image of a similar trick that attempts to get the user to sign in via MS account. Pay attention and slow down to avoid getting tricked.

• Marked as answer by Swain IT Tuesday, February 12, 2019 4:39 PM
    • Edited by Swain IT Tuesday, February 12, 2019 5:59 PM add evidence of trickery
    Tuesday, February 12, 2019 4:39 PM
  • This did work and I now have an installer. The Download link was hidden from view and I had to scroll up to find it. This fooled both Apple Care and myself. Thanks MX80!
    Wednesday, February 13, 2019 3:02 PM