none
2012 R2 gpp shortcuts

Question

• I have an RDS environment on server 2012 R2 where we are deploying desktop shortcuts using group policy preferences.

In 2008 R2 all was working fine, when I create a shortcut and put item targeting to a group the icon was removed when I remove the user from the group.

this was the setting that makes sure the icon was removed "Remove this item when it is no longer applied".

Now in 2012 R2 I configured the icon the same way with the setting "Remove this item when it is no longer applied" but the icon remains on the desktop when I remove the user from the group.

How can I accomplish in 2012 R2 that the icon is removed when I remove the user from the targeted group?

So the icons are being created fine but are not removed if i remove the user from the target scope.

thanks

Regards,

• Edited by Arjandv Wednesday, April 15, 2015 6:50 AM
    Tuesday, April 14, 2015 8:41 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting. I'd liket to know which option you choose"Create, delete replace or update"?

Also would you please help to confirm if the shortcut appeared before you set up the Item Level Targeting configure on the new 2012 R2?

If so,please try to use Delete to delete the unnecessary shortcut.

For details: GP Policy vs. Preference vs. GP preferences

For details: Configure a Shortcut Item

Create

Create a new shortcut for computers or users.

Delete

Remove a shortcut for computers or users.

Replace

Delete and recreate a shortcut for computers or users. The net result of the Replace action is to overwrite the existing shortcut. If the shortcut does not exist, then the Replace action creates a new shortcut.

Update

Modify settings of an existing shortcut for computers or users. This action differs from Replace in that it only updates shortcut settings defined within the preference item. All other settings remain as configured in the shortcut. If the shortcut does not exist, then the Update action creates a new shortcut.

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Elaine

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 7:19 AM