none
BI Excel Report does not fetch data while opening in excel for selected users RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Project Server 2010 sp1 with SharePoint 2010 sp1 and SQL Server Enterprise 2008 R2 on Windows Enterprise Server 2008 R2.

We have business intelligence reports template in the document library which we open in excel that connect to the database and fetch the data in pivot table.

We have two users having same rights in PWA (Project Server) and SQL Server and are trying to open the report. One user is able to do it successfully but the other face following error: “[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.”

We tried to connect to the database through SQL Server Management Studio 2008 r2 from both users using their ID and they were successfully able to do that.

Can anyone inform me where should we make the configuration change to make it run?

I appreciate your help.

Thanks!

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 7:36 PM

All replies

• Make sure that users are member of report viewers group

Hrishi Deshpande Senior Consultant

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 11:16 PM
  • Thanks for your response.

Where should I give these rights? In project server or in SQL server or somewhere else?

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 2:38 PM
  • These are Active Directory groups.  You will need the assistance of your Domain Admin to add the additional user(s) to the Report Viewers A/D group.

• Edited by Edward Hanna Wednesday, October 23, 2013 3:09 PM Correction
    Wednesday, October 23, 2013 3:08 PM
  • Please refer following TechNet about configuring excel services and AD group configuration

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee662106(v=office.14).aspx

Hrishi Deshpande Senior Consultant

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 4:18 PM
  • Sorry for jumping in on this thread, but just wanted to clarify something.

For your users to be able to open,edit and refresh data in Excel, they need to be part of the "Report Authors" group (or have read access to the PWA Reporting database directly).

Report Viewers can only "view" the report in Excel Services (browser), but cannot edit it.

Prasanna Adavi,PMP,MCTS,MCITP,MCT http://thinkepm.blogspot.com

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 7:34 PM