Sam account from legacyExchangeDN RRS feed

• Question

• I've been given a list of users with only their legacyexchangeDN. Is there a way with Powershell to get the SAM account from this? I tried get-mailbox where legacyexchangedn -eq "xxx" but it seems that is not a searchable value.
    Thursday, May 16, 2013 5:07 PM

Answers

• It seems to be in the list of filterable properties: http://blogs.technet.com/b/evand/archive/2007/02/19/filterable-properties-in-exchange-2007-rtm.aspx#Mailbox

This worked for me against one legacyexchangedn:

Get-Mailbox -Filter {LegacyExchangeDN -eq "/o=Org/ou=AdminGroup/cn=Recipients/cn=alias"} | Select SamAccountName

Assuming that works then it should just be a case of getting your DNs into a variable somehow (eg. import-csv) and looping through them.

I hope this helps,

Mark.

• Proposed as answer by imkottees Thursday, May 16, 2013 5:40 PM
    • Marked as answer by DPFY Friday, May 17, 2013 11:56 AM
    Thursday, May 16, 2013 5:27 PM
  • On Thu, 16 May 2013 17:27:18 +0000, - Mark - wrote:

>
    >
    >It seems to be in the list of filterable properties: http://blogs.technet.com/b/evand/archive/2007/02/19/filterable-properties-in-exchange-2007-rtm.aspx#Mailbox
    >
    >This worked for me against one legacyexchangedn:
    >
    >Get-Mailbox -Filter {LegacyExchangeDN -eq "/o=Org/ou=AdminGroup/cn=Recipients/cn=alias"} | Select SamAccountName
    >
    >Assuming that works then it should just be a case of getting your DNs into a variable somehow (eg. import-csv) and looping through them.

No need even for the filter.

get-mailbox -identity "/o=Org/ou=AdminGroup/cn=Recipients/cn=alias" is
    all you need.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    Friday, May 17, 2013 1:40 AM

All replies

• It seems to be in the list of filterable properties: http://blogs.technet.com/b/evand/archive/2007/02/19/filterable-properties-in-exchange-2007-rtm.aspx#Mailbox

This worked for me against one legacyexchangedn:

Get-Mailbox -Filter {LegacyExchangeDN -eq "/o=Org/ou=AdminGroup/cn=Recipients/cn=alias"} | Select SamAccountName

Assuming that works then it should just be a case of getting your DNs into a variable somehow (eg. import-csv) and looping through them.

I hope this helps,

Mark.

• Proposed as answer by imkottees Thursday, May 16, 2013 5:40 PM
    Thursday, May 16, 2013 5:27 PM
  • Thanks, I'll give it a try tomorrow.
    Thursday, May 16, 2013 5:46 PM
  • On Thu, 16 May 2013 17:27:18 +0000, - Mark - wrote:

>
    >
    >It seems to be in the list of filterable properties: http://blogs.technet.com/b/evand/archive/2007/02/19/filterable-properties-in-exchange-2007-rtm.aspx#Mailbox
    >
    >This worked for me against one legacyexchangedn:
    >
    >Get-Mailbox -Filter {LegacyExchangeDN -eq "/o=Org/ou=AdminGroup/cn=Recipients/cn=alias"} | Select SamAccountName
    >
    >Assuming that works then it should just be a case of getting your DNs into a variable somehow (eg. import-csv) and looping through them.

No need even for the filter.

get-mailbox -identity "/o=Org/ou=AdminGroup/cn=Recipients/cn=alias" is
    all you need.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Friday, May 17, 2013 1:40 AM
  • Nice Rich, you learn something new every day ... or get reminded of something you'd forgotten ;)

So if you can use the LegacyExchangeDN with the -identity parameter and -identity is positional you could lose that too and just go with: get-mailbox "/o=Org/ou=AdminGroup/cn=Recipients/cn=alias"

Mark.

Friday, May 17, 2013 9:23 AM
  • Thanks Rich and Mark, got it working. Thought I had tried the -identity field already but it worked no problems when I tried it today.
    • Edited by DPFY Friday, May 17, 2013 11:56 AM spelling
    Friday, May 17, 2013 11:55 AM
  • On Fri, 17 May 2013 09:23:41 +0000, - Mark - wrote:

>Nice Rich, you learn something new every day ... or get reminded of something you'd forgotten ;)
    >
    >So if you can use the LegacyExchangeDN with the -identity parameter and -identity is positional you could lose that too and just go with: get-mailbox "/o=Org/ou=AdminGroup/cn=Recipients/cn=alias"

That's correct. The "-identity" parameter is the 1st positional
    parameter.

I just don't like using positional parameters in scripts. Call it
    "coding style", like having curly braces line up vertically, I guess.
    :-)

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Saturday, May 18, 2013 2:21 AM