Autoarchive office365 GPO RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

How i can setting: "Archive items in this folder using the default settings" for autoarchive

We can setting the default autoarchive setting but this option i always disable

Sunday, January 7, 2018 5:33 PM

All replies

• Hi,

An Archive folder has automatically been added to your Office 365 mailbox. At the end of December 2016, Office 365 was updated to automatically create the Archive folder upon any access to the Exchange mailbox, initial or subsequent.

Further, please check the below mentioned link for more information.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4010182/archive-folder-is-automatically-added-to-your-office-365-mailbox

and

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-in/library/archive-features-in-exchange-online-archiving.aspx

Thanks

Saurabh

Please remember to mark the solution as the answer using "Mark as Answer". If you find a solution to be helpful, please use "Vote as Helpful".

Sunday, January 7, 2018 5:44 PM
  • no but i use office 365 with exchange local server and i need to enable the option: Archive items in this folder using the default settings on all folder that the user create (incluse inbox)

Sunday, January 7, 2018 6:27 PM
  • Hi,

Archiving in Office 365 (also called In-Place Archiving) provides users with additional mailbox storage space. After you turn on archive mailboxes, users can access and store messages in their archive mailboxes by using Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Web App. Users can also move or copy messages between their primary mailbox and their archive mailbox. They can also recover deleted items from the Recoverable Items folder in their archive mailbox by using the Recover Deleted Items tool.

Before you begin: You have to be assigned the Mail Recipients role in Exchange Online to enable or disable archive mailboxes. By default, this role is assigned to the Recipient Management and Organization Management role groups on the Permissions page in the Exchange admin center. If you don't see the Archive page in the Security & Compliance Center, ask your administrator to assign you the necessary permissions.

To enable an archive mailbox:

1.Go to https://protection.office.com.

2.Sign in to Office 365 using your work or school account.

3.In the left pane of the Security & Compliance Center, click Data governance > Archive.
    The Archive page is displayed. The Archive mailbox column indicates whether an archive mailbox is enabled or disabled for each user.

4.In the list of mailboxes, select the user that you want to enable the archive mailbox for.

5.In the details pane for the selected user, click Enable.
    A warning is displayed saying that if you enable the archive mailbox, items in the user’s mailbox that are older than the archiving policy assigned to the mailbox will be moved to the new archive mailbox. The default archive policy that is part of the retention policy assigned to Exchange Online mailboxes moves items to the archive mailbox two years after the date the item was delivered to the mailbox or created by the user. For more information, see the More info section in this article.

6.Click Yes to enable the archive mailbox.
    It might take a few moments to create the archive mailbox. When it’s created, Archive mailbox: enabled is displayed in the details pane for the selected user. You might have to click Refresh   to update the information in the details pane.

Further you can also set retention tag and retention policy for the same.

Please go through the below link for that:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/set-up-an-archive-and-deletion-policy-for-mailboxes-in-your-office-365-organization-ec3587e4-7b4a-40fb-8fb8-8aa05aeae2ce

Thanks

Saurabh

Please remember to mark the solution as the answer using "Mark as Answer". If you find a solution to be helpful, please use "Vote as Helpful".

• Edited by Saurabh_Y Monday, January 8, 2018 12:25 AM
    Monday, January 8, 2018 12:24 AM
  • Hi Andreal,

Do you mean the "Archive items in this folder using the default settings" option under AutoArchive tab if we right click on a mail folder in Outlook? If this is the case, I'm afraid there is no GPO setting available to control this option.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Wednesday, January 10, 2018 9:17 AM
    Monday, January 8, 2018 8:23 AM
  • Hi Steve Fan,

Confirm i mean the option in outlook preference in a mail folder, i need to set for all users the automatic archive on local, but after some days of research i don't find any solution

Do you have any idea?

Monday, January 8, 2018 9:48 AM
  • Hi Andreal,

You can enable automatic achieving option on every user mailbox through powerShell also and through GUI also, once the OST size is full all the mails will get automatic archive in that folder.

I don`t think so there is option in the outlook through which you can do auto archive-enabled for all users. All the users can create PST manually and move their OST data into the new PST that they have created through their outlook.

Thanks

Saurabh

• Edited by Saurabh_Y Monday, January 8, 2018 9:56 AM
    Monday, January 8, 2018 9:56 AM
  • Hi Steve Fan,

Confirm i mean the option in outlook preference in a mail folder, i need to set for all users the automatic archive on local, but after some days of research i don't find any solution

Do you have any idea?

Thank you Andreal for the confirmation. Unfortunately, as I stated before, there is no GPO setting or registry hacking available to control this option as Outlook AutoArchive feature is designed based on each "Folder". You may consider using Online Archive from the Exchange Server side.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Wednesday, January 10, 2018 9:17 AM
    Tuesday, January 9, 2018 7:54 AM