DHCP missing from Admin Tools and MMC RRS feed

• Question

• Hey all.

Running Windows 10, and I have to manage a bunch of services on a bunch of different servers. RDPing into each system to manage them is too old school, as such I love MMC and continue to attempt to reduce graphical server installs and use MMC snap-ins more and more.

I have RSAT installed on my Windows 10 Enterprise 64 bit. I double checked and ensured all the features of the install was indeed checked off (seems a new default of RSAT is to have all features automatically enabled, instead of disabled.) To my dismay I saw the DHCP tool option already checked off, but is nowhere to be found under admin tools or when I attempt to add the MMC snap in.

Did I miss something?

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 3:19 PM

Answers

• Not sure how to tell what version of RSAT is installed, I can only really suggest you uninstall your current version, reboot, download the latest version, WindowsTH-RSAT_TP5_Update-x64.msu from the link you provided and try again. To remove RSAT do that via Programs and Features and View installed updates. Then uninstall KB2693643 reboot and download latest and install.

Server Manager is installed on the client as part or RSAT on Windows 10. Screenshot of add remove features with RSAT installed for me for comparison.

Thursday, July 14, 2016 3:26 PM
  • Update KB2693643 4/30/2016

So to me your build 10240 and the install date of RSAT would be things to look at. August 2015 for the RSAT date does put it in the time or pre dhcp to me. So remove that KB from updates download the latest version WindowsTH-RSAT_TP5_Update-x64.msu and see if that helps.

• Marked as answer by Zewwy Monday, July 25, 2016 7:27 PM
    Tuesday, July 19, 2016 9:03 PM

All replies

• On Server Manager DHCP is not listed under the Tools menu? If you search start for DHCP it does not show DHCP Desktop app? They both do on my system.

DHCP was missing from the very early RSAT release for Windows 10, so if this a recently downloaded and installed version of RSAT for Windows 10?

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 11:09 PM
  • "DHCP was missing from the very early RSAT release for Windows 10, so if this a recently downloaded and installed version of RSAT for Windows 10?"

Not sure if this version just had it completely missing from the windows enable features section after install or not, if so I do have the feature option and it is already checked off aka enabled, and the Snap in is not available, neither is the link/shortcut under administration tools. How do you determine the version of RSAT installed? AFAIK on this one its simply installed as an update version and you'd have to remove that update to actually remove the RSAT installation, else you can simply remove a set feature by un-checking it under enable windows features. (Source)

"On Server Manager DHCP is not listed under the Tools menu?"

Not sure what you are getting at here, AFIAK Server Manager is available only on the servers directly. If I log in (RDP) into my PDC (My DHCP server) I can open DHCP from its administration tools or Server Manager just fine, talking remote management via MMC Snap-in.

"If you search start for DHCP it does not show DHCP Desktop app?"

On my Windows 10 workstation, No. Again no link/shortcut under administration, or snap-in option under mmc.

Thursday, July 14, 2016 2:40 PM
  • Not sure how to tell what version of RSAT is installed, I can only really suggest you uninstall your current version, reboot, download the latest version, WindowsTH-RSAT_TP5_Update-x64.msu from the link you provided and try again. To remove RSAT do that via Programs and Features and View installed updates. Then uninstall KB2693643 reboot and download latest and install.

Server Manager is installed on the client as part or RSAT on Windows 10. Screenshot of add remove features with RSAT installed for me for comparison.

Thursday, July 14, 2016 3:26 PM
  • I have the same list as you, but can you provide a screen shot of your admin list with the DHCP option available.

Also a screen shot of your MMC with the snap-in available.. here are my snapshots..

System info:

Update installed:

Features enabled

MMC missing snap-in

No admin tool:

I'm gonna get my colleague to install RSAT on his system and see if his gets the tools/snap-in.

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 5:20 PM
  • Update KB2693643 4/30/2016

So to me your build 10240 and the install date of RSAT would be things to look at. August 2015 for the RSAT date does put it in the time or pre dhcp to me. So remove that KB from updates download the latest version WindowsTH-RSAT_TP5_Update-x64.msu and see if that helps.

• Marked as answer by Zewwy Monday, July 25, 2016 7:27 PM
    Tuesday, July 19, 2016 9:03 PM
  • Thank you Mr.Happy,

As annoying as it was, that made it work.

"wusa /kb:2693643 /uninstall" (some reason the /quiet /restart didn't do anything, maybe cause restart isn't an actual optional subcommand) any way I got the popup and restarted.

Grabbed the MSU from MS webpage again, reinstalled, rebooted.

Now the MMC snap-in and the admin tools shortcut are both there. 

Thanks again.

Monday, July 25, 2016 7:27 PM