DPM 2012 and Hyper V RRS feed

• Question

• Can someone please give me the low down on Protecting Hyper V servers with DPM 2012?  Information is scattered all over the place but nothing I have read covers all situations.

I have a physical DPM 2010 server today running on 2008 R2 today.  The Hyper V role is installed so I can do ILM and restore a full VM to another Hyper V host, for those stand alone Hosts.

We would love to virtualize DPM but you could not in the past because you had to have the Hyper V roles installed on DPM.....which is not possible in a VM (VM with Hyper V role installed).

Questions....

If I upgrade to 2012 do I still need the Hyper V role for anything if my host is the OS DPM 2012 is running on is 2008 R2 SP1??  For ILM?  For full VM restores to the same host...to a different host?

If I virtualize the DPM server what do I lose with DPM 2012?

Thanks!!

Thanks, -Lindy

Thursday, July 12, 2012 8:20 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes, - it was never a requirement to have hyper-V roled on DPM for any other reason but to perform ILR for VHD. Restoring to alternate host never required local hyper-V role on DPM server.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by cwlindy Friday, July 13, 2012 1:30 AM
    Friday, July 13, 2012 12:52 AM

All replies

• Hello,

DPM 2012 does not require hyper-v role in order to perform ILR from guests .vhd files.  See http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2011/09/21/dpm-2012-enhancements-to-hyper-v-protection.aspx

If you are not doing tape backups using physical scsi or san atached library you won't loose any capabilities virtualizing DPM 2012.  If you need tape support, you will need to use a software based VTL or a iscsi attached library when using a virtualized DPM server.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, July 12, 2012 10:35 PM
  • No tape.  So I have a few NON-clustered hosts (in the DMZ) with a few VM's on each of them.  My "redundant" plan for these hosts in the case of a host failure is to restore a whole VM onto remaining host (we have enough room on each) via DPM....which works with my current physical DPM 2010 server.

Can I still do a full VM restore to an alternate host when my DPM 2012 server is a VM...with the Hyper V role NOT installed?

Thanks!

Thanks, -Lindy

Friday, July 13, 2012 12:09 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, - it was never a requirement to have hyper-V roled on DPM for any other reason but to perform ILR for VHD. Restoring to alternate host never required local hyper-V role on DPM server.

• Marked as answer by cwlindy Friday, July 13, 2012 1:30 AM
    Friday, July 13, 2012 12:52 AM
  • Hi,

I tested backup a Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V with 2008R2 guest (no DPM agents in guests), that works fine with DPM 2012 but ... restore ...

When i try restore i only can restore the complete *.vhdx file to network folder or the DPM 2012 server local disks. 

No ILR for vhd, i get the ID 958 error "cannot browse the content of the virtual machine..."

and i cannot either restore guest machine completely directly to the Hyper-V host.

DPM 2012 Server are running on W2008R2 (Physical). 

Will i need to wait until SP1 until this is possible? Or must i install the DPM 2012 on a W2012 platform to be able to do this?
    (and for this to be supported i must wait until SP1 are released?)

I suspect that it's the W2008R2 machine cannot read the vhdx format...

//Jorgen

Thursday, September 13, 2012 8:42 AM
  •  Hi

SC DPM 2012 does not support protecting any Windows 2012 workloads until after SP1 is released and installed.

Friday, September 14, 2012 12:31 AM