none
KB2729094 could not be download is not installed. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I'm in the process of trying to update a large number of Windows 7 machines to IE11 using WSUS. I've done it before a few years ago and it went (generally) fine, but this time it's consistently failing on each of the machines I'm testing it on. Each and every time it fails showing "KB2729094 could not be download is not installed." in the log. I've checked this patch out on the PCs and it's already installed, infact it's in the base build image that has been applied to some of the machines.

I try and try and it fails. However, if I do a "Install updates and shutdown" from the shutdown menu it consistently installs fine.

I've read through ALOT of threads about this but couldn't find a solution (I don't see uninstalling and re-installing KB2729094 which has been suggested numerous times as a workable solution).

Does anyone have any ideas what can be done to just let it install as it should?

Thanks

Thursday, June 15, 2017 3:02 PM

Answers

• Hi Robert.

It was a different WSUS server in a different infrastructure entirely.

To resolve the IE11 issue we deployed it using an application deployment tool - the download exe from ms.com would just install quite happily, unlike the WSUS version for most clients (it did work on a few). It wasn't ideal, but it worked.

The W10 cumulative update we sorted by updating all the clients to a newer W10 version and stopped approving the problematic cumulative updates for the older version. :)

• Marked as answer by warden976 Tuesday, January 9, 2018 11:06 AM
    Tuesday, January 9, 2018 11:06 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Help>About Internet Explorer

What is the version and update version? (post back with a screen shot please)

that KB was released in 2012.

Version:

File Name:

Windows6.1-KB2729094-v2-x86.msu

Date Published:

9/10/2012

File Size:

1.6 MB

Regards.

Rob^_^

• Proposed as answer by Tony_TaoModerator Friday, June 16, 2017 1:37 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by warden976 Tuesday, January 9, 2018 11:02 AM
    Thursday, June 15, 2017 7:18 PM
  • Hi Rob,

Here is a before and after.

Before - 

After

I was wrong about it consistently installing with "install updates and shutdown" and just got lucky yesterday - i rebuilt some of the PCs and this morning they're still mostly failing regardless claiming the same patch isn't installed throughout the log until it eventually installs.

Thanks

Friday, June 16, 2017 8:53 AM
  • The before picture was corrupted, you can post again.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 22, 2017 8:38 AM
  • Hi Tony,

If i use the exe with updates left on it installs - it still detects the installed patch as missing, but then downloads it, tries to install it and carries on. I've manually downloaded and tried to install it myself, but it pops up saying it's already installed.

Thanks

• Edited by warden976 Friday, June 23, 2017 12:58 PM
    Friday, June 23, 2017 12:57 PM
  • Test again with the stand-alone installers from

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/18520/download-internet-explorer-11-offline-installer

(note: there are x86 and x64 versions... choose the appropriate installer for the client CPU class.)

It looks like you are updating from an OEM image that does not include SP1 for Win7.

see also https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa372847(v=vs.85).aspx - Windows Setup Log files.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Monday, June 26, 2017 10:56 PM
  • Hi Rob,

That's the exe (64-bit version) I'm using and installs so long as it tries (and fails) to install the update 2729094.

The Windows install includes SP1 - I've just taken this from a vanilla install i've just done now through MDT without patching it.

If it helps for info we patch our reference image using WSUS through MDT (for quite a few machine this will now include the above patch), and the sysprep and capture it and deploy that wim.

Thanks

Monday, July 3, 2017 1:25 PM
  • trying to update a large number of Windows 7 machines to IE11 using WSUS. 

Is this the same WSUS that you were having trouble with a W10 cumulative update?  Did that get resolved?  I imagine you will need to dig into the logs and not assume that the message means what it says literally, just that "something is wrong".  ProcMon may help.

Another WSUS user apparently had some success by using WU verbose logging somehow.

C.f.
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e90de270-e400-4720-b0ce-42e8196a5c5a/getwindowsupdatelog-still-not-working?forum=win10itprogeneral 

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, July 5, 2017 11:07 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi Robert.

It was a different WSUS server in a different infrastructure entirely.

To resolve the IE11 issue we deployed it using an application deployment tool - the download exe from ms.com would just install quite happily, unlike the WSUS version for most clients (it did work on a few). It wasn't ideal, but it worked.

The W10 cumulative update we sorted by updating all the clients to a newer W10 version and stopped approving the problematic cumulative updates for the older version. :)

• Marked as answer by warden976 Tuesday, January 9, 2018 11:06 AM
    Tuesday, January 9, 2018 11:06 AM