Publish Remoteapp with custom icons not working RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to make my published RemoteApps (Office 2010) in our UAG portal look a bit snazzier using the following instructions http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff607372.aspx

I removed all of my published RemoteApps and am just trying to get Excel 2010 to work. I have copied a file called 'Microsoft Excel 2010.png' into path \Microsoft Forefront Unified Access Gateway\von\PortalHomePage\images\AppIcons\CustomUpdate I then republish Excel with a .tspub file generated from my session host which has application <Name>Microsoft Excel 2010</Name>, save config, activate settings and still the default MSTSC icon is displayed. I have tried it with varying sizes of PNG file, I also tried to publish my app as Application name EXCEL and file EXCEL.png.

I have run out of ideas and feel like I am missing something. Can anybody help?

Monday, January 10, 2011 3:35 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I've just tried your scenario and it worked for me (well, I've published wordpad.exe as a remote app, but I've renamed it to “Microsoft Excel 2010” in the RemoteApp Manager console, running on my Remote Desktop Session Host server, before exporting the .tspub file from it).

I too have used a custom icon for this app (as a matter of fact, I used two different custom icons, consecutively, since I wanted to convince myself that it really works as expected). I named the icon, just like you did: Microsoft Excel 2010.png, and I placed it in the ...\von\PortalHomePage\images\AppIcons\CustomUpdate folder, before adding the RemoteApp application to the UAG portal trunk.

I’d suggest you double-check your configuration and/or file name, looking for any typo.

I’d also suggest that you look in the von\PortalHomePage\images\AppIcons folder, where, after activation of the UAG configuration, two files, named CustomUpdate-Microsoft Excel 2010.pngI and CustomUpdate-Microsoft Excel 2010_icon.png should be created. If you see them there, but you still do not see the correct icon when browsing to your portal trunk’s home page, delete those two files and re-activate the UAG configuration.

Regards,

-Ran
    • Proposed as answer by Ran [MSFT] Wednesday, January 19, 2011 8:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by James Kilner Thursday, February 10, 2011 7:37 AM
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 3:04 PM
  • Sorry about the slow reply. had to park the project as other stuff came up.

I deleted the trunk completely, readded and the icon appear as they should.

Thanks for your input!

• Marked as answer by Nippertje Saturday, June 4, 2011 8:37 AM
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 7:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I've just tried your scenario and it worked for me (well, I've published wordpad.exe as a remote app, but I've renamed it to “Microsoft Excel 2010” in the RemoteApp Manager console, running on my Remote Desktop Session Host server, before exporting the .tspub file from it).

I too have used a custom icon for this app (as a matter of fact, I used two different custom icons, consecutively, since I wanted to convince myself that it really works as expected). I named the icon, just like you did: Microsoft Excel 2010.png, and I placed it in the ...\von\PortalHomePage\images\AppIcons\CustomUpdate folder, before adding the RemoteApp application to the UAG portal trunk.

I’d suggest you double-check your configuration and/or file name, looking for any typo.

I’d also suggest that you look in the von\PortalHomePage\images\AppIcons folder, where, after activation of the UAG configuration, two files, named CustomUpdate-Microsoft Excel 2010.pngI and CustomUpdate-Microsoft Excel 2010_icon.png should be created. If you see them there, but you still do not see the correct icon when browsing to your portal trunk’s home page, delete those two files and re-activate the UAG configuration.

Regards,

-Ran
    • Proposed as answer by Ran [MSFT] Wednesday, January 19, 2011 8:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by James Kilner Thursday, February 10, 2011 7:37 AM
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 3:04 PM
  • Hi Amigo. You will also need to add another icon if you like the customized image to appear also in the application navigation tree on the left. This icon should be placed in Appicons and named application-name_icon.png

Hope it helps

// Raúl - I love this game
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 8:26 PM
  • Just to update. It seems that the _icon image is not necessary any longer in SP1.
    // Raúl - I love this game
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 2:52 PM
  • Sorry about the slow reply. had to park the project as other stuff came up.

I deleted the trunk completely, readded and the icon appear as they should.

Thanks for your input!

• Marked as answer by Nippertje Saturday, June 4, 2011 8:37 AM
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 7:41 PM
  • "I’d also suggest that you look in the von\PortalHomePage\images\AppIcons folder, where, after activation of the UAG configuration, two files, namedCustomUpdate-Microsoft Excel 2010.png and CustomUpdate-Microsoft Excel 2010_icon.png should be created. If you see them there, but you still do not see the correct icon when browsing to your portal trunk’s home page, delete those two files and re-activate the UAG configuration."

The above is key information for those who run across this thread (as I did) trying to find out why when they REPLACE their custom icon, UAG keeps using the old one no matter what you do. (UAG 2010 SP1, here.) Once created, UAG does not seem to update these 2 files, which I'd assume to be a bug. I replaced the 2 files in AppIcons with copies of the new file in CustomUpdate, named the same as the original AppIcon files, and didn't even have to activate...just refreshed the page in my browser.

Thursday, November 3, 2011 12:05 AM