Deploying Windows 7 Virtual Machine RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking for some clarification regarding the deployment of windows 7 using virtual machines.

I have a 32 bit and 64 bit vm that are configured to our school districts guidelines. I will deploy these machines to several different Lenovo models.

My first question is: Can I perform a capture only with these machines, without sysprep, as no sid or other machine identifiers are used by the vm?

Second: Should I validate the license for each vm we have. If so, when sysprep is complete it will require the license to be validated again. I would be going through quite a few licenses.

I apologize if I am somewhat naieve, however, any advice offered would be appreciated.

Thursday, January 9, 2014 3:17 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Your first question: No, you need to maintain the sysprep and capture action. When your machine is initially being deployed to the VM, it has a SID generated. Not sysprepping now, means that your machine will not generate a new sid, after you have captured and redeployed it. Thus you always need to sysprep.

Your second question: When building reference images no personal or company information is required, including product keys. The reason again is sysprep, and then especially the 'generalize' option of sysprep, which erases all personal settings from the machine.

So when you are going to deploy the recent captured image, the information will be used, which is stored in the Unattended.xml that is automatically created when you created the task sequence. (Remember the questions? - Admin Password, Company Information, Registered User, Homepage) All this information is captured in the unattended.xml which you can find in the following folder:

.\Deploymentshare\Control\<TaskSequenceID>

This way, when you are going to create your image, it's no use to include personal or company information, because it will be overwritten, when you are going to deploy that image, with the second deploy task sequence.

Lastly, you mention a 32 bit and 64 bit VM, while to my opinion you only need 1 64 bit VM. It is perfectly possible to install a 64 bit OS on a 64 bit machine, just as a 32 bit OS can be installed on a 64 bit machine, the other way around however isn't possible.

I usually have, use, 1 virtual machine to build all my images on. But ofcourse I can imagine it may depend on your own situation.

Cheers!

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

• Edited by Hollanders, Rens Thursday, January 9, 2014 6:10 PM
    • Marked as answer by Burntout Thursday, January 9, 2014 7:39 PM
    Thursday, January 9, 2014 6:10 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Your first question: No, you need to maintain the sysprep and capture action. When your machine is initially being deployed to the VM, it has a SID generated. Not sysprepping now, means that your machine will not generate a new sid, after you have captured and redeployed it. Thus you always need to sysprep.

Your second question: When building reference images no personal or company information is required, including product keys. The reason again is sysprep, and then especially the 'generalize' option of sysprep, which erases all personal settings from the machine.

So when you are going to deploy the recent captured image, the information will be used, which is stored in the Unattended.xml that is automatically created when you created the task sequence. (Remember the questions? - Admin Password, Company Information, Registered User, Homepage) All this information is captured in the unattended.xml which you can find in the following folder:

.\Deploymentshare\Control\<TaskSequenceID>

This way, when you are going to create your image, it's no use to include personal or company information, because it will be overwritten, when you are going to deploy that image, with the second deploy task sequence.

Lastly, you mention a 32 bit and 64 bit VM, while to my opinion you only need 1 64 bit VM. It is perfectly possible to install a 64 bit OS on a 64 bit machine, just as a 32 bit OS can be installed on a 64 bit machine, the other way around however isn't possible.

I usually have, use, 1 virtual machine to build all my images on. But ofcourse I can imagine it may depend on your own situation.

Cheers!

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

• Edited by Hollanders, Rens Thursday, January 9, 2014 6:10 PM
    • Marked as answer by Burntout Thursday, January 9, 2014 7:39 PM
    Thursday, January 9, 2014 6:10 PM
  • Thanks so much for the quick reply and for clearing up those things for me. "Cheers" to you!
    Thursday, January 9, 2014 7:39 PM